The Democratic National Committee’s Tech team is seeking an experienced, pragmatic front-end-programming enthusiast to work on tools to help candidates win elections and to empower progressives across the country.
The Tech team works closely with campaigns, state parties and the Democratic political ecosystem to provide the tools and data they need to win elections and build strength for Democrats around the country.
This role is a remote role, on a remote-first team.
Who we are: The Tech team is a small, diverse, distributed team that develops and supports technology used by Democratic candidates and organizers across the United States to analyze data, organize, support campaigns, raise money, and get out the vote for elections. You can read more about us on our blog on Medium. We hire the best people for our team that we can, wherever they are—we have alumni from past Presidential and local campaigns, experienced product developers, e-commerce veterans, former teachers and journalists, and more.
We value work that supports diversity and equity, varied perspectives, and the many paths one may take towards becoming a software engineer. Even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description, we encourage you to apply. We know and appreciate that expertise can be developed in many different ways.
Do you want to…
Secure the future of our country? A lot is at stake and our team has a huge opportunity to make a real difference.
Work with amazing people? We have built a diverse, distributed team, hiring the best people we can wherever they are—alumni from past Presidential campaigns, experienced product developers, e-commerce veterans, and more.
Never stop learning? We are blazing a lot of new trails and you should be comfortable exploring and learning from everyone you can.
- Write and ship code that has hugely meaningful impact
- Drive front-end refactoring and development to ensure DNC tools are scalable, maintainable, efficient, and easy to use
- Work on React front-ends for Django web applications
- Work closely with fellow software engineers, product leaders, UX researchers, user support experts, data analysts, and others
- Collaborate with peers within the DNC and our larger Democratic ecosystem to make decisions about how to build the right technology to help Democrats organize and get elected
- Build for the long-run, knowing that a mission of the Tech team is to continually improve the technology available to Democrats from year to year, campaign to campaign, and election to election.
- Communicate clearly and approach problems with curiosity and humility.
Tech we work with often includes…
- CSS / Sass
- Cloud computing in AWS and GCP
- Google BigQuery and the related ecosystem
- Hashicorp Terraform for infrastructure-as-code
We're seeking experts in front-end programming who are willing to put on a full stack hat from time to time -- folks who can roll up their sleeves and apply their experiences to our team. We are a remote-first organization, with teammates from both coasts and many places in between, and we work closely with colleagues in DC. We’re currently looking for folks who already have experience writing front-end application code, but we do not require previous experience in politics!
There is so much at stake in the U.S., and the work you’ll do at the DNC will support campaigns, voters, and folks all across the country.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, vacation, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 4% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employee and dependants.
The DNC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to succeed at the DNC. The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DNC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DNC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. We welcome applicants with questions about accommodations to request to speak with our Human Resources Department. When an applicant with a disability requires an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing our Human Resources Department.
Essential functions of the role include:
- Working from a computer for long periods of time; and,
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may also frequently be required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders.
You must receive the full course of one of the CDC-recommended vaccinations against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law. If you seek a reasonable accommodation in relation to the DNC’s COVID-19 policy, you should speak to the HR team prior to reporting to an office location.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.