As a DevOps Consultant you take responsibility for ensuring the ThoughtWorks team and client are aware of the operational and infrastructure requirements for software delivery.
You’re directly involved in building and testing deployment pipelines, automated provisioning of infrastructure and infrastructure support services. You will be depended upon for advice regarding the cross-functional aspects of user stories, as well as watching out for performance bottlenecks and scaling pitfalls.
In all of this you are driven by the passion and desire to take others along with you on your journey, teaching and mentoring with patience and purpose. If this sounds appealing then we want to talk to you, because ...
- You are the Ops in DevOps: You know what DevOps stands for. You like spreading the knowledge behind software delivery, shared responsibility and infrastructure operations through close collaboration and pairing in cross-functional teams. You are a strong advocate within your team for writing clean code, designing and testing software systems and applying common infrastructure patterns.
- You are hands-on: You are ready and willing to get involved from day one, building cutting edge infrastructure, using the latest technology in provisioning and configuration management including support services like monitoring, recovery and alerting.
- You know how to work the cloud: You are very familiar and proficient in topics like virtualization, PaaS and IaaS. Resilience, performance and scalability are most important to you. You have a comprehensive and deep understanding of the architecture behind distributed, connected services and environments.
- You are a servant leader: You have excellent communication skills and treat your peers with respect. You are a patient and resourceful coach and teaching others, to you, is as important as being taught.
- You get the job done: You have an eagerness to learn enough about whatever tools and tricks are needed in order to accomplish your goal. You promote a lean and agile work environment through pragmatism and continuous improvement.
You have experience in a couple of the following areas:
- Virtualization: Docker, KVM/QEMU/XEN, VMWare, Virtualbox, Vagrant
- Cloud/PaaS/IaaS: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google App/Compute Engine (GAE/GCE), Microsoft Azure, Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, CloudFoundry, Openshift
- Infrastructure provisioning/testing: Terraform, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Saltstack, Habitat, Serverspec, Goss, InSpec
- Programming languages: Java/Scale/Clojure, Golang, Rust, Ruby, Python, Shell scripting
- Linux/Unix: Debian/Ubuntu, RedHat/CentOS
- Continuous Delivery: GoCD, Jenkins, Teamcity, Bamboo, ConcourseCI
- Web servers/Application servers: nginx, Apache, Traefik, Tomcat, Jetty
- Databases: MySQL/MariaDB/PostgreSQL, Oracle, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis
- Version control: Git, SVN
You might also want to have a look at this:
- Using AWS with Security as a First Class Citizen
- Using Pipelines to Manage Environments with Infrastructure as Code
- Getting into DevOps: Part 1
At ThoughtWorks we promote diversity in all its forms and reject discrimination and inequality. We proudly, passionately and actively strive to make both ThoughtWorks and our industry more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve.
A community of passionate individuals whose purpose is to revolutionize software design, creation and delivery, while advocating for positive social change.