Okay, we know DevOps is not a role, instead much more a philosophy - and we are searching for enthusiasts to share our passion for DevOps with customers and the community alike.
What does a day in this role look like?
As a DevOps Consultant you take responsibility for ensuring the ThoughtWorks team and client are aware of the operational and infrastructure requirements for software delivery.
You’re directly involved in building and testing deployment pipelines, automated provisioning of infrastructure and infrastructure support services. You will be depended upon for advice regarding the cross-functional aspects of user stories, as well as watching out for performance bottlenecks and scaling pitfalls.
In all of this you are driven by the passion and desire to take others along with you on your journey, teaching and mentoring with patience and purpose.
If this sounds appealing then we want to talk to you, because ...
- You are the Ops in DevOps: You know what DevOps stands for. You like spreading the knowledge behind software delivery, shared responsibility and infrastructure operations through close collaboration and pairing in cross-functional teams. You are a strong advocate within your team for writing clean code, designing and testing software systems and applying common infrastructure patterns.
- You are hands-on: You are ready and willing to get involved from day one, building cutting edge infrastructure, using the latest technology in provisioning and configuration management including support services like monitoring, recovery and alerting.
- You know how to work the cloud: You are very familiar and proficient in topics like virtualization, PaaS and IaaS. Resilience, performance and scalability are most important to you. You have a comprehensive and deep understanding of the architecture behind distributed, connected services and environments.
- You are a servant leader: You have excellent communication skills and treat your peers with respect. You are a patient and resourceful coach and teaching others, to you, is as important as being taught.
- You get the job done: You have an eagerness to learn enough about whatever tools and tricks are needed in order to accomplish your goal. You promote a lean and agile work environment through pragmatism and continuous improvement.
You have experience in a couple of the following areas:
- Virtualization: Docker, KVM/QEMU/XEN, VMWare, Virtualbox, Vagrant
- Cloud/PaaS/IaaS: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google App/Compute Engine (GAE/GCE), Microsoft Azure, Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, CloudFoundry, Openshift
- Infrastructure provisioning/testing: Terraform, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Saltstack, Habitat, Serverspec, Goss, InSpec
- Programming languages: Java/Scale/Clojure, Golang, Rust, Ruby, Python, Shell scripting
- Linux/Unix: Debian/Ubuntu, RedHat/CentOS
- Continuous Delivery: GoCD, Jenkins, Teamcity, Bamboo, ConcourseCI
- Web servers/Application servers: nginx, Apache, Traefik, Tomcat, Jetty
- Databases: MySQL/MariaDB/PostgreSQL, Oracle, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis
- Version control: Git, SVN
What can I expect?
ThoughtWorks is synonymous with innovation. We're a diverse community of bright and passionate individuals striving to have a positive impact on the world. We help our clients invent what's next, and bring it to life with technology. In weeks, not years.
Our clients are organisations with ambitious missions, where we deliver complex enterprise systems using a philosophy based on lightweight design, Agile, and open-source. When you join us ...
- You will be working with the best in the business: We are 4500 ThoughtWorkers, everyone different in their own way. It’s an immense pool of experience and knowledge all dedicated to the art of software delivery and you will be a part of it.
- You can show us what you can do: You will work in a dynamic, collaborative, non-hierarchical environment where talent is valued over job titles or certificates.
- You can stop careering and start contributing: You develop your career outside the confines of a traditional career path. You are responsible for your own decisions while ThoughtWorks supports your personal and professional growth through mentoring and challenging opportunities.
- You won’t be catching dust: We have offices around the globe and we are working almost exclusively on customer site providing a mix of delivery and consulting services. You will be travelling a lot and picking up challenges at a wide variety of different locations.
You might also want to have a look at this:
- Using AWS with Security as a First Class Citizen
- Using Pipelines to Manage Environments with Infrastructure as Code
- Getting into DevOps: Part 1
So, you can see yourself as an Infrastructure Developer at ThoughtWorks? Then tell us who you are and let us know why you want to join by submitting your CV today!
At ThoughtWorks we promote diversity in all its forms and reject discrimination and inequality. We proudly, passionately and actively strive to make both ThoughtWorks and our industry more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve.Ref: *LI
A community of passionate individuals whose purpose is to revolutionize software design, creation and delivery, while advocating for positive social change.