You are on the ground guiding the high-level technology platform design and strategy. With the support of subject matter experts, you guide a multi-team program towards delivering that design with lean platform building.
As a trusted partner to our clients, you’ll be pushing the organization forward while helping them solve difficult technology problems. You will foster an environment that empowers teams and facilitates the development of your team members, setting everyone up to deliver their best work.
As Platform Architect here's what we'll be looking for you to bring:
- Understanding of the following areas:
- Delivery infrastructure buildout (e.g. CI, deployment orchestration, observability, and A/B test infrastructure)
- Modern security practices
- Modern API platform design
- Modern data architectures (e.g. event driven architectures, stream processing, and integrating real time analytics into customer applications)
- Organizational skills and consulting abilities that:
- Support organizational changes in regards to capability development, restructuring toward product-centric team models, and transitioning to modern agile SDLC practices
- Communicate technical decisions to non-technical audiences and build consensus around them
- Articulate the value of foundational technology approaches to business executives (e.g. the pros & cons of microservices architectures in a given context)
- Build strong stakeholder relationships and foster interaction at different levels
- Manage priorities and make decisions in high stakes scenarios
- Technical skills in most of the following areas:
- Cloud native architecture principles
- Containerization and PaaS approaches and tools (e.g., CloudFoundry, OpenShift, Kubernetes)
- Domain-driven factoring of service interfaces using domain modeling, event storming, and other techniques
- You should be able to:
- Guide teams in addressing the technical and delivery challenges in migrating away from monolithic systems to a modern services architecture
- Provide hands-on guidance to teams with an emphasis on strong layering and isolation practices and effective test strategies
- Support the implementation of delivery pipelines with modern delivery technologies
- You understand that leadership is not something you do from far away; you get the importance of taking people with you along the journey and are able to influence and coach those around you to orchestrate team success.
- You understand that not every client can effectively utilize sophisticated new technologies tools and prefer to choose solutions that are appropriate for an organization’s capability, cost-sensitivity, and risk tolerance.
There's no typical day or engagement for our Platform Architects. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Guide delivery programs with one or more business applications which will be drivers for the emerging delivery infrastructure and API platforms.
- Strategize with the client and ThoughtWorks subject matter experts on creating and combining elements of a platform, and ensure delivery against it.
- Be responsible for engaging with technical and business stakeholders to understand clients’ needs, design the solution, prioritize the delivery approach, and guide technical leads in solution delivery.
- Evangelize business benefits and impact of the platform as well as the value of modern delivery and engineering practices.
- Support client architects and portfolio managers in developing technology roadmaps, including effectively evaluating build/rent/buy decisions.
- Perform account management activities, such as delivery assurance, coaching of tech leads, and helping shape new engagements.
Regardless of what you do at ThoughtWorks, you’ll always have the opportunity to
- Think through hard problems, and work with a team to make them reality.
- Learn something new everyday.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, transparent, non-hierarchal, and ego-free culture where your talent is valued over a role title.
- Travel the world.
- Speak at conferences.
- Write blogs and books.
- Develop your career outside of the confinements of a traditional career path by focusing on what you’re passionate about rather than a predetermined one-size-fits-all plan.
- Be part of a company with Social and Economic Justice at the heart of its mission.
It is the policy of ThoughtWorks, Inc. to provide a work environment free of discrimination. The Company will take affirmative action to ensure applicants and ThoughtWorks employees are treated without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnic origin, veteran status, family status, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression or gender identity. This also includes individuals who are perceived to have any of the aforementioned attributes. ThoughtWorks will adhere to all federal, state, and municipal laws and regulations governing employment.
A community of passionate individuals whose purpose is to revolutionize software design, creation and delivery, while advocating for positive social change.