Trust and Safety Specialist
Thumbtack, Draper, Utah
We’re building the destination for getting things done
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Trust and Safety Team
People trust us. For big projects or small, they know they can count on us. Our mission is to build and maintain trust within the marketplace to ensure lasting success for Thumbtack and our users.
About the Role
As part of the Trust and Safety Operations Team, you will have the opportunity to work with a high performing group solving real and serious problems for our users. You will uphold Marketplace standards and policies, and help find solutions to complicated situations between users.
- Oversee Trust and Safety related cases involving customer concerns via phone, email, and resolution platforms.
- Investigate disputes between users to help reach a reasonable solution.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Strong verbal communication skills - ability to effectively communicate over the phone and create a human connection with the customer while still following Trust and Safety policy and procedure.
- Strong writing skills, able to effectively respond to sensitive emails in a timely and professional manner.
- Level-headed - can maintain poise and sound decision making through difficult or complex situations.
- Creative problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Resilience - knows how and when to reset from difficult situations and maintain a positive attitude.
- Must be customer obsessed! We care about our customers and take care of them.
- 1-2 years experience on a Trust and Safety or Fraud Prevention team.
- Dispute resolution or mediation experience.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Solving one big problem In 2009, three friends—Marco, Jonathan, and Sander—noticed a problem. Customers needed help connecting to qualified, local professionals. The same professionals needed customers. As a solution to bring the two together, Thumbtack was born. Since then, we’ve helped millions of customers with their projects and generated more than $1 billion in annual revenue for our pros. We’re reshaping local economies. We’re changing lives. And true to the spirit of our customers and pros, we’re getting things done.