Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Creative team.
We’re a tight-knit, collaborative group on a mission to make Thumbtack famous. You’ll work closely with designers, writers, and producers to develop world class creative for both sides of the Thumbtack marketplace – customer and pro. You’ll be responsible for telling the Thumbtack story across marketing and product, exploring how our brand can inspire and inform through motion and animation.
About the role.
The Production Designer is an authority in Figma and Adobe CS and fully versed in a range of other design tools. Experience relating to other visual arts such as texture work, photography, 3D work, painting and graphic arts is also useful. In this role, you will provide production mechanical building expertise and have a developing sense of design acumen to help build and maintain the high-level design and quality standards that this brand is striving for.
What you’ll be working on
- You’ll sit on the Creative team, within our Design organization, working closely with the brand design team to sketch ideas, iterate on existing designs, build creative files out to various sizes and produce print mechanicals while adhering to production schedules set by our team of creative producers.
- You’ll execute with a keen eye for detail and consideration of deadlines and constraints.
- You will produce final design work for print and advertising; emails, online banners, websites, print materials and collateral. Attention to detail is mandatory.
- You will collaborate and support brand designers, product writers, producers, developers and stakeholders on a daily basis to execute first-class work.
- You will learn, internalize and enforce Thumbtack brand standards.
- An appetite for documentation is desirable — you will be expected to refine and contribute to the production design documentation library.
- Nice to have: Those with experience and appetite for motion design are encouraged to apply. There is plenty of opportunity on this team for assistance with storyboarding and comping digital ads, animating GIFs for emails, bringing to life illustrations for landing pages, keynote presentations for events, and supporting product launches with educational and marketing animations.
- 2+ years production or junior graphic design, agency or production house experience
- Thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- You are a dedicated individual who is willing to learn all about current Thumbtack creative
- You have strong communication skills and are able to explain ideas and direction to others clearly, diplomatically, and concisely
- You react quickly to new information, opinions, and direction, and you can strategically pivot when necessary
- You are an extraordinarily resourceful multitasker who builds links by being creative and innovative
- Superb attention to detail in composition and craftsmanship
- You’re obsessed with production -- you geek out on the technical specs, and stay up to date on the latest trends
- You are a self-starter and highly motivated; capable of working independently but collaboratively with cross-disciplinary teams in an entrepreneurial environment
More About Us.
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.
Solving one big problem In 2009, three friends—Marco, Jonathan, and Sander—noticed a problem. Customers needed help connecting to qualified, local professionals. The same professionals needed customers. As a solution to bring the two together, Thumbtack was born. Since then, we’ve helped millions of customers with their projects and generated more than $1 billion in annual revenue for our pros. We’re reshaping local economies. We’re changing lives. And true to the spirit of our customers and pros, we’re getting things done.