Thumbtack, Remote in Bay Area until at least July 2021
We’re building the destination for getting things done
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
We are looking to build an amazing mobile experience for hundreds of thousands of users. Can you imagine what you might do if you could run your business from your phone? If you could hire a service provider at any time day or night with just a few taps? The sky's the limit. We develop much of our products mobile first and have seen this investment pay off incredibly. We’re looking for engineers excited to build a fantastic product.
- Drive engineering projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of those projects. Skilled at prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency.
- Execute new ideas quickly and effectively on iOS while also being a resource to other teams and engineers.
- Willing, when necessary, to solve tough technical problems at any level of the stack, and be persistent in getting to the solution.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to plan and execute on engineering projects.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Passionate iOS engineer who is an expert in building, testing, releasing, and maintaining applications in either Swift or Objective C
- Minimum of 4 years of industry experience in engineering
- History of shipping consumer focused apps that users love on the App Store, you can show what you’ve owned
- Excited by the potential of mobile technology to transform the lives of small businesses around the country
- Experience with popular libraries, frameworks, and services like Core Data, AFNetworking, Xcode UI Testing, Crashlytics, and Amplitude, including when not to use one
- Strong eye for beautiful design and user experience
- Great communicator; we find that people who are good writers tend to be great thinkers and great coders
- You’re data-driven and dedicated to thorough testing to maintain high-quality software
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.
Solving one big problem In 2009, three friends—Marco, Jonathan, and Sander—noticed a problem. Customers needed help connecting to qualified, local professionals. The same professionals needed customers. As a solution to bring the two together, Thumbtack was born. Since then, we’ve helped millions of customers with their projects and generated more than $1 billion in annual revenue for our pros. We’re reshaping local economies. We’re changing lives. And true to the spirit of our customers and pros, we’re getting things done.
Want to learn more about Thumbtack? Visit Thumbtack's website.
Sweat in good company