Thumbtack, Remote in Bay Area until at least July 2021
We’re building the destination for getting things done
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Design Team
We're a tight-knit team of product designers, researchers, and product writers working closely with engineers and product managers to research, explore, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, and delightful. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
About the Role
As a Product Designer, you’ll work collaboratively and iteratively to turn complex problems into intuitive user experiences. You’ll own projects from conception to launch and measure success through data and user research. You’ll play a key role in roadmapping, feature design, and the quality of our products, and your work will impact both user and business goals.
- Design intuitive, human-centric flows and experiences on web, iOS, and Android
- Collaborate closely with fellow designers, product managers, and engineers
- Use research and qualitative data to guide design and development decisions
- Analyze the success of your solutions and iterate
- Contribute to the visual design of our patterns and design system
- Present work and use design to build alignment and influence product direction
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the product and executive teams
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of experience
- Portfolio with a history of impactful projects that showcase your design process
- Strong UX, interaction, and visual design skills
- Human-centric approach to designing products
- A bias for action and tenacious focus on how your work impacts users and the business
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and communication skills
- Fluency in commonly used design software and related tools (Sketch or Figma, Adobe CS, etc.)
- Experience leading / mentoring other designers
- Experience with helping set product strategy through methods like design sprints, quarterly or yearly planning, and team brainstorms
- Experience setting a vision for a product experience
- Experience designing for a two-sided marketplace
- Prototyping skills (using Invision, HTML, CSS, Framer, Principle, etc.)
- Conceptual understanding of popular front-end frameworks like Angular and React
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Thumbtack Design Blog
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.
Solving one big problem In 2009, three friends—Marco, Jonathan, and Sander—noticed a problem. Customers needed help connecting to qualified, local professionals. The same professionals needed customers. As a solution to bring the two together, Thumbtack was born. Since then, we’ve helped millions of customers with their projects and generated more than $1 billion in annual revenue for our pros. We’re reshaping local economies. We’re changing lives. And true to the spirit of our customers and pros, we’re getting things done.
Want to learn more about Thumbtack? Visit Thumbtack's website.
The social news and entertainment company.