Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives - from house cleaners, to yoga instructors to general contractors, we’re helping small businesses grow and thrive. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About Research & Design At Thumbtack
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of designers, researchers, content strategists, and analysts working closely with engineers and product managers to discover, validate, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, and delightful. We collaborate regularly through design critiques, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and inform the direction of the product and company as a whole.
You are passionate about developing empathy with our users, especially the small business owners/professionals (Pros), and delivering insights that help us create experiences that fulfill their needs. You have several years of effective cross-functional collaboration experience and you strive to create product experiences that users share and evangelize. You’re a great communicator and story-teller, and can help product teams better understand and advocate for their users. Your focus is on qualitative research methodologies, but you have working knowledge of quantitative methodologies as well.
About The Role
User Researchers at Thumbtack are embedded within product teams and serve as advocates for the needs of customers and Pros alike. You will be responsible for scoping and executing research projects (often with overlapping timelines) and providing insights that will drive key product decisions. As a User Researcher at Thumbtack, you will:
- Collaborate closely with multiple teams within the organization to identify and prioritize research topics in a fast-paced environment.
- Determine the approach and conduct research from strategic discovery about user needs to tactical evaluations of design decisions.
- Synthesize feedback to generate insights and provide clear and concise design recommendations.
- Share research findings with smaller functional teams and the company at-large by creating and distributing compelling, impactful reports and presentations.
- Work collaboratively within the research team to assess larger user trends and determine strategies for further investigation and/or synthesis.
- 3-7+ years in applied design research in fast-paced, consumer-facing product organizations
- Strong understanding of strengths and shortcomings of various qualitative and quantitative research methods, including when and how to apply them during product phases
- Demonstrated success influencing product and design decisions based on research insights
- Excellent knowledge of research principles and experiment design & facilitation
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and collaboration skills
- Experience using a variety of research tools (such as UserTesting.com, Optimizely, Ethnio) and familiarity with recruiting and analytics suites
- Experience collecting and analyzing user behavior through unmoderated experiments (A/B testing), in-person studies, remote studies, and the occasional survey
- BA/BS in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Information Science, Computer Science, related fields, or equivalent practical experience
- MA/MS in one of the previously mentioned academic fields
- Experience with user research supporting accessibility, a big plus
- Experience coding, writing SQL queries
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Solving one big problem In 2009, three friends—Marco, Jonathan, and Sander—noticed a problem. Customers needed help connecting to qualified, local professionals. The same professionals needed customers. As a solution to bring the two together, Thumbtack was born. Since then, we’ve helped millions of customers with their projects and generated more than $1 billion in annual revenue for our pros. We’re reshaping local economies. We’re changing lives. And true to the spirit of our customers and pros, we’re getting things done.