Head of Public Policy
Thumbtack, Remote, United States
We’re building the destination for getting things done
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Public Policy Team
Our public policy team advocates for our company, our values, and the small businesses that use our platform every day. The team drives thought leadership and policy change to make it easier for individuals to start their own business and succeed on Thumbtack.
About the Role
Do you want to work in a highly collaborative environment to reinvent how a large piece of the local economy works? We’re looking for a Head of Public Policy to partner with our legal, communications, and executive teams to introduce, impact and explain policies that affect our business. You will be important to Thumbtack’s success by shaping how the public and elected officials understand our business as well as the role of small businesses and independent entrepreneurs in local communities and economies across the country.
- Engage with stakeholders including federal, state and local elected officials, third-party groups, and industry partners on issues impacting small business owners and self-employed individuals using Thumbtack.
- Champion small businesses by finding creative ways to share their stories and their challenges with policymakers, thought leaders, and the public.
- Build coalitions and develop new programs and projects to make it easier for individuals to become entrepreneurs in the skilled trades.
- Monitor legislation and regulatory issues including content moderation, privacy, occupational licensing, independent work, healthcare partners, insurance regulation, digital taxation and more.
- Develop data to illustrate the impact of proposed policy changes on small business owners and entrepreneurial economy.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10+ years experience and a track record in policy, campaigns, technology or government.
- Strong communicator who can advocate for issues externally in public settings and explain the impacts internally to the Thumbtack team
- Thrives by working in a fast-paced environment; relishes the opportunity to define priorities and metrics of success
- Excellent business judgement and ability to lead cross-functional projects
- Experience working in policy for private sector company
- Experience working at a high-growth startup
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Solving one big problem In 2009, three friends—Marco, Jonathan, and Sander—noticed a problem. Customers needed help connecting to qualified, local professionals. The same professionals needed customers. As a solution to bring the two together, Thumbtack was born. Since then, we’ve helped millions of customers with their projects and generated more than $1 billion in annual revenue for our pros. We’re reshaping local economies. We’re changing lives. And true to the spirit of our customers and pros, we’re getting things done.
Want to learn more about Thumbtack? Visit Thumbtack's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.