IT Support Engineer I (Hybrid Role, San Francisco Candidates Only)
Thumbtack, San Francisco, California
We’re building the destination for getting things done
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $500B industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the IT Team
The Internal Tools team is made up of 3 groups -- IT Infrastructure & Operations, Business Applications, and Technical Program Management & Procurement. Together, we deliver trusted, scalable, secure services and infrastructure to empower Thumbtack employees with the tools they need to get work done. We partner with the business and own our platform of internal tools throughout their lifecycle -- intake, prioritization, buy/build, implementation, support, and retirement.
About the Role
You will be a customer service and support evangelist, working at our Help Desk and assisting our customers via in person walk-ups, support tickets, email and chat. You will work closely with Help Desk staff to maintain IT support documentation, handle the IT queues, and run A/V events. You love building relationships with customers, business partners and IT team members alike. You are passionate about IT end user support, have an excellent background in Mac software and hardware troubleshooting and are hungry to learn and grow in an Enterprise IT environment.
- Provide support at our IT Help Desk during business hours
- Perform hardware repairs, upgrades and migrations
- Resolve problems in a timely manner or escalate on behalf of customers to senior technical staff
- Support endpoint security standards (antivirus/firewall/patching/two-factor authentication)
- Handle system access and maintain user accounts, passwords, data integrity & security
- Participate in inventory, purchasing and asset management to support the Help Desk
- Help evaluate hardware and software solutions and participate in IT projects
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 1-2 years experience in IT Support in a professional environment
- Experience with support ticket management and tracking
- Strong customer service, problem solving and collaboration abilities
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Technical knowledge of MacOS, iOS, ChromeOS and Android
- Basic knowledge of Windows 10
- Network fundamentals and support experience (laptop connectivity, VPN, printing)
- IT-related degree or related certification/s is an advantage
- Familiar with common IT support systems and tools: Okta, AD, LDAP, Zendesk, G Suite for Business, Office 365, Slack, Jamf
- Knowledge of video conferencing solutions and support (Zoom)
- Some heavy lifting and management of IT equipment required (shifting computers in storage, deployment of equipment to desks, shipping of equipment to remote workforce
While Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning employees have the flexibility to live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*, this role is closely aligned with our day-to-day Thumbtack library operations and is expected to report to the Thumbtack library in Salt Lake City, UT on a regular cadence when it is safe to resume in-person operations. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Library use requires employees to be fully vaccinated.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and internet
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
- Cell Phone Reimbursement, Thumbtack services (North America only)
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact [email protected].
*Currently, Thumbtackers can live anywhere in Ontario or British Columbia, Canada or the Philippines or in any of the following US states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, Washington DC. Our long term vision is to hire across all of the United States and Canada, but this expansion will take a few years.
Solving one big problem In 2009, three friends—Marco, Jonathan, and Sander—noticed a problem. Customers needed help connecting to qualified, local professionals. The same professionals needed customers. As a solution to bring the two together, Thumbtack was born. Since then, we’ve helped millions of customers with their projects and generated more than $1 billion in annual revenue for our pros. We’re reshaping local economies. We’re changing lives. And true to the spirit of our customers and pros, we’re getting things done.
Want to learn more about Thumbtack? Visit Thumbtack's website.
Great Prices. Better Cars. Shipped to You.