Intermediate/ Senior Full Stack Engineer
Tile, Vancouver, CAN
Tile is a tiny Bluetooth tracker and easy-to-use app that helps you find everyday items
What you'll be doing
- Leading a team and mentoring others to achieve company goals.
- Release features and integrate services across Tile’s entire web presence including website, hybrid app, web app, to support core experiences from ecommerce to Tile Smart Location Platform.
- Collaborate with product, design, marketing, and customer care teams to improve and revamp web flows such as shopping, subscriptions, account, and beyond through new features, A/B tests, and explorations.
- Work with modern technologies such as SPAs and containerization and introduce new technologies and tools to continually improve Tile’s web presence.
- Contribute to a wide variety of areas from styling to API integrations.
- Take ownership for the entire stack including development, testing, deployment, maintenance, monitoring and troubleshooting of all Tile web-based systems.
How we work
- Efficient - Kanban / Agile - We maintain a prioritized backlog to pull work from and have daily standups and monthly retrospectives. We expect great communication, organization, and focus.
- Fast - Continuous Delivery - We automatically deploy to production after each pull request merge, with automated tests.
- Stable - Code Reviews / Tech Designs - We value robust, linted, and clear code and also have pair code review process to ensure knowledge is distributed across the team. We lean on happy path, separation of concerns, and functional paradigms.
Our tech stack
- Frontend - React, Redux, Fela, Webpack, Storybook - We’ve worked to modernize our frontend and adopting tools to let us build great experiences.
- Backend - Node, Docker, Ansible, Cloudformation, SOA, ECS, AWS - We’ve switched to deploying new services with Node and Docker on top of AWS, and we have a fully automated build. Read more about how we deploy using Infrastructure as Code.
- Services: Cloudflare, Stripe, Chargebee, Optimizely, Google Analytics, Salesforce, NetSuite, Twilio, New Relic, Logentries, SpeedCurve and more - We’re integrating with many best-in-class services to power our website. Check out how we’ve used two services to boost our web performance.
- 4+ years industry experience in Full Stack Web Engineering role.
- Academic background in Computer Science or related field.
- Full-stack experience including deployment of own services or apps from the ground up, and integrating services together.
- Hands-on experience with React, Redux, and Node in production.
- Understanding of web technologies: HTTP, DNS, REST, Webhooks, SQL.
- Comfortable with dev tools and processes: Git, PRs, issue tracking, code review.
- Understanding of cloud and application infrastructure.
- Familiarity with key web performance concepts such critical rendering path, caching, CDNs, speed index, profiling.
- Familiarity with monitoring and analytics tools: log management, alerting, Google Analytics.
- Public GitHub profile or any contributions to open source software are a plus.
Within 1 week, you'll
- Complete our getting started and crash course guides
- Set up your local dev environment with Docker
- Join all the Slack channels!
- Take on a good first issue
- Participate in tech design and code reviews
Within 2-3 months, you'll
- Work together on at least one project released to production
- Understand overview of web systems and key integrations
- Help debug and triage customer-facing issues
- Propose ideas for our roadmap
- Demo your work at our engineering all-hands
Within 9-12 months, you'll
- Own large features and new integrations in production
- Improve or introduce tools and technologies and provide training for the team, including outside of engineering
- Collaborate on defining priorities and have a deep understanding of customer and partner needs
- Support marketing team on launch day to release any new Tile products on the site
- Watch sales for Black Friday and Cyber Monday (our two biggest sales days)
Tile has invented a simple and sleek location tracking app that can be used to track any item users don’t want to misplace. Users can place small, affordable Tiles on wallets, purses, computers, luggage, etc., allowing them to communicate within the world’s largest lost and found network. Tile is the first mass-market Internet of Things device and community, and has created a user-driven network of access points that work together to help locate missing belongings, but that have a potential impact that is far, far greater, spanning transportation, healthcare, energy, and the connected home.
Want to learn more about Tile? Visit Tile's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.