Copy Editor, Food & Wine/Cooking Light
Time Inc., Birmingham, AL
One of the largest branded media companies in the world
Time Inc. (NYSE:TIME) is a leading multi-platform consumer media company that engages over 170 million consumers globally every month. The company's influential brands include PEOPLE, TIME, FORTUNE, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, INSTYLE, REAL SIMPLE, SOUTHERN LIVING and TRAVEL + LEISURE, as well as approximately 60 diverse international brands. Time Inc. offers marketers a differentiated proposition in the marketplace by combining its powerful brands, trusted content, audience scale, direct relationships with consumers and unique first-party data. The company is home to growing media and platforms, including digital video, OTT, television, licensing, paid products and services and celebrated live events, such as the TIME 100, FORTUNE Most Powerful Women, PEOPLE’s Sexiest Man Alive, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED’s Sportsperson of the Year, the ESSENCE Festival and the FOOD & WINE Classic in Aspen.
The job: Food & Wine and Cooking Light are looking for an inquisitive, detail-oriented, and thorough copy editor to work seamlessly across print and digital content for both brands. The right candidate for this position has a sharp eye and is passionate about ensuring all content is clear, logical, accurate, grammatical, and enjoyable to read. Tenacious and self-motivated, this candidate also works well in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment, maintaining a positive, tactful communication style and even-keeled disposition at all times. This person will work collaboratively with other members of the copy department to maintain the quality, tone, accuracy, and editorial style of two distinctive brands.
- Thoroughly copyedit and fact-check print and digital content on a daily basis
- Assist the Copy Director in managing content through the production process
- Work independently to meet short- and long-term deadlines
- Work with editors to implement a consistent voice for two distinct brands
- Proactively identify workflow efficiencies, as well as ways to make our content work harder across multiple platforms
- Edit and manage extra pieces of content for use in digital projects
- A minimum of 5 years of copyediting and fact-checking experience, preferably across both print and digital platforms and preferably across recipes and lifestyle content
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe InCopy and InDesign as well as content routing systems such as WoodWing
- Strong proficiency in Chicago and AP style
- A keen eye for details, both in the text and in the layout, enabling you to spot everything from an errant comma to an incorrect font to a mislabeled caption
- A relentless drive for accuracy and consistency
- A positive, problem-solving attitude
- A wide knowledge base as well as a thirst for ongoing learning
- An ability to define and maintain a distinctive voice and style for two unique brands, alternating seamlessly between the two on a daily basis
- A collaborative, creative, flexible work style and strong communication skills
- A deep understanding of the Cooking Light and Food & Wine brands and a general interest in food-related content
- The ability to multitask and perform meticulous work under tight deadlines
About Time Inc.
Time Inc. is the trusted voice of the human story. Through our 100 news and culture brands, consumers & marketers can leverage the power of Time Inc.’s stories every day, every hour, on every platform, from every angle, at the best possible moment.
Want to learn more about Time Inc.? Visit https://www.timeinc.com/
Jobs You May Like
Freelance Writer, Louisville
Thrillist, Thrillist Media Group - Louisville
Live Video Production Fellow, "AM to DM"
BuzzFeed, New York
Curriculum Designer (Contract)
Codecademy, New York
Freelance Writer, Washington DC
Thrillist, Thrillist Media Group - DC
San Francisco Chronicle, Downtown SF
Finnish Language Specialist
Wish, San Francisco, United States