Database Administrator II (MySQL)
Time Inc., Bangalore
One of the largest branded media companies in the world
Time Inc. (NYSE:TIME) is a leading multi-platform consumer media company that engages over 170 million consumers globally every month. The company's influential brands include PEOPLE, TIME, FORTUNE, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, INSTYLE, REAL SIMPLE, SOUTHERN LIVING and TRAVEL + LEISURE, as well as approximately 60 diverse international brands. Time Inc. offers marketers a differentiated proposition in the marketplace by combining its powerful brands, trusted content, audience scale, direct relationships with consumers and unique first-party data. The company is home to growing media and platforms, including digital video, OTT, television, licensing, paid products and services and celebrated live events, such as the TIME 100, FORTUNE Most Powerful Women, PEOPLE’s Sexiest Man Alive, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED’s Sportsperson of the Year, the ESSENCE Festival and the FOOD & WINE Classic in Aspen.
The candidate will work in Time Inc.'s office in Bangalore and be an extension of Time's Technology & Product Engineering's Internet Operations and Engineering team. The team’s primary responsibility is to administer the enterprise server farms that support such highly trafficked web sites such as People.com, Time.com and EntertainmentWeekly.com while maintaining the highest standards in reliability, scalability, security, performance and availability.
We are looking for a seasoned and energetic database engineer who enjoys a fast-based environment and thrives on pushing the state of the art. As a member of our Database team, you will be supporting databases and tools that power twenty of Time Inc.'s largest and most popular websites. These databases are mission critical and must be available 24x7x365. Responsibilities of a DBA include providing support for database maintenance, handling level 1 on-call support and performing day-to-day database related support requests.
Candidates will also assist with the implementation of database tools and technologies, working with application developers on database design and development and conducting database tuning and performance analysis. Key to success in this position is knowledge of a RDBMS like MySQL, SQL programming and a scripting language, such as Bash, Perl, PHP along with good communications skills and the ability to adapt to a changing environment. The desired candidate will also be expected to work within a team environment, collaborating on projects, as well as being able to operate on their own initiative.
- Maintain existing MySQL environments, including large replication environments for data mining and mid-sized High Availability environments.
- Review and make recommendations for tuning existing environments.
- Design and tune new tables, databases, and environments for both existing implementations and new applications.
- Monitor and support current and future environments.
- Create, maintain and update maintenance scripts for MySQL, Sybase ASE, and MongoDB databases.
- Design, create and implement new database environments including HA and replication setups.
- BS degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
- 4+ years hands-on experience in database administration of MySQL.
- 3+ years experience with various MySQL engine types, include InnoDB, MyISAM, MEMORY.
- 3+ years experience with setup, configuration, maintenance and trouble-shooting MySQL replication environments.
- 3+ years experience with performance tuning MySQL databases for a variety of environments and user requirements.
- 3+ years experience with Linux, including experience writing Linux scripts.
- Exposure to PHP-based database applications, other RDBMS systems (especially Sybase ASE) or NoSQL system (especially MongoDB) desired but not required.
- Experience working in an AWS environment is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Good written and verbal English language skills.
Key Behavioral Requirements
Respect in the workplace
- Demonstrate integrity and authenticity.
- Encourage and facilitate the exchange of ideas.
- Foster and inclusive work environment.
Connection and Collaboration
- Communicates and relates effectively.
- Promotes and encourages teamwork.
- Manages relationships and expectations.
- Thinks and solves problems creatively.
Makes a Difference
- Takes personal accountability for actions and results.
- Is action oriented rather than reactive.
- Takes initiative and goes beyond what is required.
About Time Inc.
Time Inc. is the trusted voice of the human story. Through our 100 news and culture brands, consumers & marketers can leverage the power of Time Inc.’s stories every day, every hour, on every platform, from every angle, at the best possible moment.
Want to learn more about Time Inc.? Visit https://www.timeinc.com/
Jobs You May Like
Enterprise Support Engineer (Japanese Language)
GitHub, Remote - Australia
Engineering Internships - Summer 2018
Tile, San Mateo, CA
Software Engineer - User Interface
Quora, Mountain View, CA
Technical Lead (TDD, OOP, SOLID, CI/CD, Agile, Various Languages)
Senior Fullstack Engineer
Netflix, Los Gatos, California