Associate Photo Editor, Food & Wine/Cooking Light
Time Inc., Birmingham, AL
One of the largest branded media companies in the world
Time Inc. (NYSE:TIME) is a leading multi-platform consumer media company that engages over 170 million consumers globally every month. The company's influential brands include PEOPLE, TIME, FORTUNE, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, INSTYLE, REAL SIMPLE, SOUTHERN LIVING and TRAVEL + LEISURE, as well as approximately 60 diverse international brands. Time Inc. offers marketers a differentiated proposition in the marketplace by combining its powerful brands, trusted content, audience scale, direct relationships with consumers and unique first-party data. The company is home to growing media and platforms, including digital video, OTT, television, licensing, paid products and services and celebrated live events, such as the TIME 100, FORTUNE Most Powerful Women, PEOPLE’s Sexiest Man Alive, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED’s Sportsperson of the Year, the ESSENCE Festival and the FOOD & WINE Classic in Aspen.
The Associate Photo Editor is someone very experienced with editorial photography who keeps his or her finger on the pulse of industry trends and the current climate of photographers. The ability to make quick decisions and creative suggestions and contributions is essential. You must also be familiar with the process of producing shoots from start to finish and should be able to give recommendations for hiring talent across the country. You will have a heavy hand in travel photography and on-location shoots, and you will also work closely with the Time Inc. Food Studios to produce studio content.
- Conceptualize photo treatments with the Director of Photography, Creative Director, designers, and editors to illustrate stories in both FOOD & WINE and COOKING LIGHT.
- Acquire and produce the best photographs, obtaining them appropriately, crediting them properly, negotiating rates within our budgets and working closely with editors to realize their vision.
- Produce photo shoots: Front-of-book, back-of-book, and some features.
- Oversee logistics of shoot production on location: casting, hiring and managing stylists and photographers, securing locations and permits, orchestrating shoot logistics, scouting, generating estimates and staying on budget.
- Research, pitch, and assign photographers for FOB and special sections.
- Attend key shoots to ensure the magazine’s vision is carried out.
- Conduct photo research. Find pickup photography to support editorial and storytelling needs for both brands and manage any stock photography needs.
- Assist with budget management. Help manage shoot estimates and overall photography budget.
- Proven: You are passionate about photography, first and foremost. You have four or more years of experience working in a magazine photo department with an emphasis on shoot production and creative image research. Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in photography.
- A Multitasker: When it comes to juggling multiple projects at once, you’re a pro; anticipating every project need before it’s needed. You have great analytical, scheduling and booking skills. Paired with your knack for communication, no one can stop you.
- Logistical Master: You make ideas action. When given a big, elaborate task, you approach it with a clinical precision. Your clear mind and logical approach doesn’t go unnoticed.
- Communicative: Grace under pressure. That’s what you have. Your decisiveness in high pressure situations and uncertain circumstances is your trademark, worn like a badge of honor. You’re the person people confide in when they’re looking for a clear, logical solution. Your clarity with words shines through – whether you’re drafting a simple email, talking to a teammate or explaining a complex idea in a formal presentation to senior leadership.
About Time Inc.
Time Inc. is the trusted voice of the human story. Through our 100 news and culture brands, consumers & marketers can leverage the power of Time Inc.’s stories every day, every hour, on every platform, from every angle, at the best possible moment.