Senior Editor, Departures
Time Inc., New York, NY
One of the largest branded media companies in the world
Time Inc. (NYSE:TIME) is a leading multi-platform consumer media company that engages over 170 million consumers globally every month. The company's influential brands include PEOPLE, TIME, FORTUNE, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, INSTYLE, REAL SIMPLE, SOUTHERN LIVING and TRAVEL + LEISURE, as well as approximately 60 diverse international brands. Time Inc. offers marketers a differentiated proposition in the marketplace by combining its powerful brands, trusted content, audience scale, direct relationships with consumers and unique first-party data. The company is home to growing media and platforms, including digital video, OTT, television, licensing, paid products and services and celebrated live events, such as the TIME 100, FORTUNE Most Powerful Women, PEOPLE’s Sexiest Man Alive, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED’s Sportsperson of the Year, the ESSENCE Festival and the FOOD & WINE Classic in Aspen.
The Departures Senior Editor will assign, write, and package primarily travel content for the brand on both its print and digital platforms. This editor will oversee a travel-focused section of the magazine, as well as spearhead the creation of travel guides, news items, and evergreen travel content for Departures.com. The role will also work as part of a team to create content for sister Time Inc. brands. The role is highly collaborative and will work closely with rest of the editorial team for idea generation and assigning.
- Conceive, assign and edit print stories as part of an FOB travel section, as well as travel features elsewhere in the book and occasionally for other Time Inc. brands that do similar content.
- Create both newsy and evergreen digital travel content on a tight budget.
- Gather travel news from within the industry by maintaining good contacts within freelancers and publicists.
- Represent Departures at industry events.
- Mentor junior staff in pitching, packaging, reporting and writing
- Experienced in the travel content universe, with solid PR connections and a rolodex of writers.
- A creative packager and crackerjack display writer.
- A resourceful assigner who can manage a budget and think strategically about content creation.
- A solid line editor, able to turn stringer-level copy into smart and engaging stories of any length.
- Interested, not necessarily expert, in all expressions of digital content, from social posts to long-form video.
- Passionate about the Departures brand and able to take a nuanced and sophisticated view of contemporary luxury, even if you don’t live the lifestyle yourself.
- A roll-up-your-sleeves, multi-tasking, get-it-done, modern kind of media editor.
About Time Inc.
Time Inc. is the trusted voice of the human story. Through our 100 news and culture brands, consumers & marketers can leverage the power of Time Inc.’s stories every day, every hour, on every platform, from every angle, at the best possible moment.