Snapchat Discover Writer, Essence
Time Inc., New York, NY
One of the largest branded media companies in the world
Time Inc. (NYSE:TIME) is a leading content company that engages over 150 million consumers every month through our portfolio of premium brands across platforms. By combining our distinctive content with our proprietary data and people-based targeting, we offer highly differentiated end-to-end solutions to marketers across the multi-media landscape. Our influential brands include PEOPLE, TIME, FORTUNE, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, INSTYLE, REAL SIMPLE and SOUTHERN LIVING, as well as more than 50 diverse titles in the United Kingdom. Time Inc. has been extending the power of our brands through various acquisitions and investments, including Viant, an advertising technology firm with a specialized people-based marketing platform, The Foundry, Time Inc.’s creative lab and content studio, and the People Entertainment Weekly Network (PEN). The company is also home to celebrated franchises and events, such as the TIME 100, FORTUNE Most Powerful Women, PEOPLE's Sexiest Man Alive, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's Sportsperson of the Year, the ESSENCE Festival and the FOOD & WINE Classic in Aspen.
ESSENCE is seeking a creative, humorous, internet-savvy writer to work on the brand's Snapchat Discover content. You’re a pop culture junkie whose day begins online, scanning your phone and the Internet to find out what you missed because you’re attuned to all things Black culture and #BlackGirlMagic. You’re a trendspotter who’s able to translate Black girl hair, beauty and style trends onto the Snapchat platform in a way that will make people swipe, share and laugh out loud. You know how to turn around copy that excites, affirms and informs the reader. You have a firm grasp of what's on-brand for ESSENCE and an ability to push the envelope on what the brand does. You’re enthused about all aspects of the process, from creative conception to design.
- Work closely with ESSENCE editors, social team, video producers and designers
- Find new and innovative ways to engage and tell ESSENCE stories to our Snapchat audience
- Create original content unique to the platform
- Move quickly and efficiently on breaking news stories, reactive pieces, awards shows and other special events where speed is key
- Think short-term for daily editions and long-term for stunts and specials
- Develop Snapchat-specific tentpoles and franchises; we value out-of-box thinkers who can balance taking risks with maintaining our core brand integrity
- Knowledgeable: You have 2+ years of professional experience working in, or writing for, a digital newsroom. You have an in-depth knowledge of all things Black culture and Beyoncé.
- Up-to-Date: You’re a media junkie with your finger on the pulse of what’s going on in the world and an understanding of the Snapchat audience and its appetite for content. You know what’s happening when and where and you’ve got a passion for staying in the know. Simply put, you’re trending with what’s trending.
- Passionate: You have a unique voice that fits and evolves the ESSENCE brand, coupled with a passion for creating, dissecting and consuming all kinds of content.
- Proven: You have a track record for delivering copy that’s fun, fresh and engaging.
- A Lifelong Learner: You have a deep understanding and desire to learn more about the changing media landscape. Your proactive curiosity is contagious; you know how to drive meaningful conversations about the future of media, tech and content.
About Time Inc.
Time Inc. is the trusted voice of the human story. Through our 100 news and culture brands, consumers & marketers can leverage the power of Time Inc.’s stories every day, every hour, on every platform, from every angle, at the best possible moment.