Sr. Software Engineer | Big Data
Time Inc., Seattle, WA
One of the largest branded media companies in the world
Time Inc. (NYSE:TIME) is a leading content company that engages over 150 million consumers every month through our portfolio of premium brands across platforms. By combining our distinctive content with our proprietary data and people-based targeting, we offer highly differentiated end-to-end solutions to marketers across the multimedia landscape. Our influential brands include PEOPLE, TIME, FORTUNE, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, INSTYLE, REAL SIMPLE and SOUTHERN LIVING, as well as more than 50 diverse titles in the United Kingdom. Time Inc. has been extending the power of our brands through various acquisitions and investments, including Viant, an advertising technology firm with a specialized people-based marketing platform; The Foundry, Time Inc.’s creative lab and content studio; and the People Entertainment Weekly Network (PEN). The company is also home to celebrated events, such as the TIME 100, FORTUNE Most Powerful Women, PEOPLE's Sexiest Man Alive, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's Sportsperson of the Year, the ESSENCE Festival and the FOOD & WINE Classic in Aspen.
As Time Inc. continues to invest in streamlining their business and improving our software practices and efficiencies across all of our brands, we are seeking a capable and talented Sr. Software Engineer to help define and build Time Inc.'s next-generation data platform. This individual will participate in the ideation of and delivery of key aspects of our new architecture ranging from data ingestion, consumer behavioral insights, machine learning, data governance and customer privacy. The scope of this role is all aspects of data management for Time Inc. and its brands.
This role will involve software development of key data platform modules for Time Inc.'s next-generation data platform ecosystem. Responsibilities for engineering will span all aspects of data, including but not limited to: data ingestion, governance, machine learning, analytics and insights and personalization systems. You will contribute to the ecosystem's design and architecture, and be responsible for detailed design of full vertical modules within the data platform. This role involves both coaching/mentoring of other engineers as well as significant hands-on engineering. Strong test-driven development skills and incremental and rapid iteration in your development ethic is critical for this fast-moving and key initiative for Time Inc. Proven track-record of developing large-scale systems using service-oriented architecture and cloud technologies is a must as that will be part of your routine role. Our efforts will include both individual system development as well as assessment and integration of third-party software products. Knowledge and experience utilizing standardized APIs and specifications are preferred. Knowledge in the data space around data management, ingestion, and learning is a must. Experience with data related cloud technologies such as AWS Redshift, S3, Kinesis, Lambda, RDS, Aurora, EMR are strongly desired as well as experience with data science technologies such as neo4j and R.
Experience and Requirements
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field with 1+ year relevant experience; or Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field with 5+ years relevant experience
- Demonstrated proficiency with Java, C++, or equivalent object-oriented programming language; or demonstrated ability to quickly learn new programming languages and tools
- Experience working in Python, NodeJS or similar Lambda-supported languages
- Object-oriented analysis and design skills
- Problem solving and analytical abilities
- Understanding of algorithmic design and complexity analysis
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work in a team environment
- Experience building high-performance, highly-available, and scalable distributed systems
- Proven ability to identify and mitigate the root cause of issues
- Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence
- Experience collecting software product requirements, describing software product features, and creating technical designs
- Experience with cloud-based technologies and Software-as-a-Service (Saas) systems such as Amazon AWS.
- Experience with service-oriented architectures
Ideal Additional Qualifications
- Experience with AWS Kinesis, Data Migration Service, Data Pipeline, SQS and other data movement technologies is a plus.
- Experience with Oozie, Sqoop, Flume, Falcon, Kafka, Storm, Spark and/or other Hadoop Ecosystem components are a plus.
- Experience in ETL/ELT workflow management is a plus.
- Experience with Big Data database components such as Hive, AWS Redshift, and/or AWS DynamoDB is a plus.
About Time Inc.
Time Inc. is the trusted voice of the human story. Through our 100 news and culture brands, consumers & marketers can leverage the power of Time Inc.’s stories every day, every hour, on every platform, from every angle, at the best possible moment.