Director of Communications, Northern & Eastern Europe (London based)
Tinder, London, UK
Swipe. Match. Chat.
Tinder brings people together. With tens of millions of members and a presence in nearly every country on earth, our reach is expansive — and we’re rapidly growing. There’s never been a more exciting time to be at Tinder. Our new Chief Product Officer is driving an innovation roadmap and our new Chief Marketing officer is expanding our marketing presence around the world. And the global communications team is expanding and up-leveling its work with the arrival of our new Chief Communications Officer. Tinder is on a course to revolutionize the way young people meet and connect today, if you want to be a part of that...keep reading!
We are looking for a dynamic communications professional with a strong understanding of the media ecosystem across Northern and Eastern Europe, and a strong background in Corporate and Consumer communications. In addition, a deep understanding of the cultural nuances among youth culture in Europe is important. The candidate will be a member of a seasoned group of professionals helping to shape and tell the story of Tinder as a company, product and brand. She / he will report to the Senior Director Communications Europe. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing a group of agencies already in place in key markets, on-boarding new agencies and setting strategy in partnership with the Marketing Directors and the Global Communications team based in LA. The role requires strong cross-functional interactions with teams based across Europe and in the US.
This person should have a passion for the Tinder brand and must be an independent thinker and a self-starter with the ability to manage several projects at once with a high level of detail. Of particular interest are candidates with experience working in the UK and Germany, in addition to a background in technology, entertainment or lifestyle sectors and those who are used to working in an environment that requires agility, selflessness and the ability to think globally. Also of interest are candidates who have experience developing communications strategies for a young, consumer-focused brand.
In this role you will:
- Act as a media relations expert and leader within the team, working to tell the Tinder story across a wide array of media verticals,
- Foster and maintain top media relationships to support message pull-through and own storytelling for the brand,
- Keep in consistent contact with reporters to convert them into Tinder friendlies / insiders,
- Travel in-market where top media are based to maintain in-person relationships and facilitate / staff media desk-side tours,
- Secure media attendance and coverage around events and activations to extend reach,
- Develop media strategies that will be executed both internally and externally through agency partners,
- Create compelling materials that will support earned coverage conversion across verticals, including press releases, media pitches, spokesperson quotes, key messaging and briefing / background documents,
- Work with multiple business units to create compelling stories, including research & insights, business development, marketing and social media, content and influencer marketing,
- Serve as a company spokesperson,
- Support all media relations vertical at Tinder, including consumer, corporate, issues management, product and executive thought leadership.
We're looking for:
- At least 8-10 years of experience in Consumer and Corporate communications, in lifestyle, tech or entertainment sector,
- Strong roster of relationships and contacts in the UK and German media across a wide array of verticals (broadcast, print, online, etc.) and able to build relationships with new contacts,
- Be adept at corporate reputation and issues management,
- Has a strong bias-to-action, adept and agile on changing course and getting things done on short timeframes,
- Has knowledge of how to manage budgets,
- Know how to successfully manage an agency, including writing strategic briefs/memos,
- Strategic thinker, an inspiring leader, a team player, and an excellent writer/communicator,
- Passionate about communications and about consumer empowerment,
- A positive can-do attitude about maintaining a leadership position for the company,
- Be a succinct communicator in a 'hands on' role, detailed and and highly-organized,
- Have a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Communications, Business, or a related field.
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The hustle of a startup with the impact of a global business
- Tremendous opportunity to solve some of the industry’s most exciting problems
- Working with an extraordinary team of smart, creative, fun and highly motivated people
- Meaningful benefits package
- Paid Vacation Time and flexible working hours
Tinder, founded in 2012, has become one of the fastest growing social startups and mobile apps of all time. Tinder was launched to address the social and physical barriers of forming new friendships and relationships. Using social data, Tinder anonymously finds people nearby that like each other and connects them if they are both interested.