Senior DevOps Engineer
Top Hat, Toronto, Ontario
The all-in-one teaching platform for higher education
As a key member of our DevOps team you will:
- Innovate. We’re in the middle of transforming our system architecture and processes into a continuously-delivered services approach, which means you’ll have a hand in shaping the way that we build and ship software. The DevOps team keeps our tooling and processes up-to-date with our evolving needs as we scale out both the user-base and the engineering team.
- Collaborate. DevOps at Top Hat provides the tooling and automation needed to enable a DevOps culture across our organization. This means working closely with our development and product teams to understand their bottlenecks, and to mentor them on operational ownership.
- Improve. DevOps helps improve our internal tooling (instrumentation, dashboards, deployment automation), as well as the infrastructural availability of our production services. We run blame-free post-mortems to drive improvements after incidents. We keep up with the latest Amazon services to help scale operations and better achieve high-availability. (We make heavy use of CloudFormation, Packer, and Ansible for immutable infrastructure; Jenkins 2.0 and Spinnaker for pipelines; Docker for CI, but eyeing it for production. Our backend is a REST API built with Django, with Node.js for real-time. React on the frontend.)
Some of the reasons we attract great people:
- We are tackling interesting technology challenges such as real-time messaging to thousands of clients with guaranteed delivery over poor network conditions in difficult networking environments.
- The impact you will make extends beyond just the success of the company but the prosperity of the education environment.
- We work in a collaborative team-oriented atmosphere where our developers can be found “swarming” an issue or pairing up to work on a tricky piece of code.
- We have a very good business and strong revenue growth. You will be exposed to all aspects of a business past start-up mode and scaling quickly.
- We’re just the right size. Top Hat isn’t a megacorp nor are we a small ‘cowboy’ shop. We are a great fit for individuals that want stability but don’t want to be a number.
- We offer mentorship and meaningful work. Leadership opportunities. Whether it’s leading people, products, or projects, our growth translates into new positions for those that are motivated.
About Top Hat
Our Mission We treat instructors like heroes, elevating their work inside and outside the classroom with compelling content and activities to engage their students. We believe collaboration with our coworkers and with frontline educators is the key to our success. We work hard, we work smart and we work without ego. And we know our aggressive growth will revolutionize the university experience.