We’re Trainline, Europe’s leading rail and coach travel app. We know travel’s better when there’s less stress and less time spent planning, therefore our aim is to bring together all rail, coach and other services into one simple experience, so customers get the best prices and smart, real time travel info on the go 🚝🚌🌎
Technology @ Trainline👩💻👨💻
Over half of our staff are technologists, we're changing the way that people travel through the use of high quality software and technological innovation.
The Infrastructure function are responsible for the build, deployment and management of all server infrastructure across the entire Trainline platform, from the customer’s first connection all the way through to the web apps themselves. This infrastructure underpins all channels which collectively bring in over £3.2 billion in ticket sales every year. That means at peak times over 200 people per minute are booking Trains….
We are a growing company that loves new technology and we run a diverse platform that is 100% hosted on AWS, utilising the best of what it has to offer, coupled with our own tooling. This allows us to embrace Continuous Delivery, DevOps and Cloud environments to their full potential
Introducing the Platform Delivery team 👋
The Platform Delivery team cover all areas of Infrastructure including Cloud and physical Server management; Windows & Linux builds, deployment & management, CDN configuration, load balancing, PKI, datacentre management and a variety of other technologies that combine to provide the Platform for all other teams to use.
As a Platform Engineer at Trainline, here's some things you'll be working on...👩🏼🔧 👨🏼🔧
- You will be working in an enterprise environment with exposure to the latest technology (particularly around automation and P/IaaS) and high growth agile environments that require innovative and robust solutions to solve complex requirements.
- Contribute to the overall management AWS cloud infrastructure, from IAM permissions to multiple service implementations
- Work with the Principals across the company to design, document and implement solutions that cross one or more infrastructure and operations functions – be the glue that brings together solutions to complex issues.
- Work with DevOps Engineers in product aligned teams to ensure their needs in the P\IaaS space are met and that there are agreed expectations on both sides, working to document guidance and improve self-service
We'd love to hear from you if you..🔎
- Have proven experience working in enterprise and AWS Cloud environments
- Possess demonstrable knowledge of latest technologies in the P\IaaS space, particularly around automation.
- Are able to lead by example, a hands-on engineer who has ‘been there and done that’ and is not afraid to get stuck in and implement their designs.
- Have a solid background in technology with demonstrable career progression through roles with increasing technical proficiency
- Are customer obsessed with excellent interpersonal, relationship building and influencing skills
and you've worked with..
- Enterprise Technology: Concepts around High availability clustered systems, N+1 (or more) architecture, Multisite\datacentre deployments, Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
- Automation and Infrastructure as Code: Puppet, Ansible, Terraform
- AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda, VPC, CloudWatch, EKS, ECS, IAM and many more
- Operating Systems: Linux, Windows
- Load balancer infrastructure, working knowledge and previous experience in Nginx preferred
- E-commerce and Website Operations
- Akamai / CDN experience
- Environments management and configuration orchestration technologies (eg GitHub, Team City, Artifactory, GitLab)
- Containers - Use of Docker, Kubernetes
- Scripting knowledge: PowerShell. Automating repetitive tasks with custom scripting
- Production experience with frontend web services including Apache, IIS and NGINX
Everything begins with great people, as well as aptitude, we put a heavy emphasis on attitude.
Coaches Over Heroes
- We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those individuals who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
- Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
- We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
- We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.
We are a one-stop shop for train travel. Every day, we bring together routes, fares and journey times from train companies in 24 countries so our customers can easily buy train tickets and save time, hassle or money.
We help our customers stay one step ahead so they don’t have to, from helping them buy the best ticket for their journey to giving them live, personalised travel information on the go via our app.