Trainline is the leading independent rail and coach travel platform selling rail and coach tickets to millions of travellers worldwide. Via our highly rated website and mobile app, people can seamlessly search, book and manage their journeys all in one place. We bring together millions of routes, fares and journey times from 260 rail and coach carriers across 45 countries. We offer our customers the best price for their journey and smart, real time travel information on the go. Our aim is to make rail and coach travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices.
Technology @ Trainline
Over half of our staff are technologists, we're changing the way that people travel through the use of high quality software and technological innovation.
We know that great software requires great coding practices. Trainline is used by millions of people every day, we process over 200 ticket sales per minute, and 80 million+ transactions per month. It simply would not be possible to move fast enough if we were not able to trust our engineers to produce code of the highest quality. Here are some key practices which we insist upon across our teams that allow us to release over 300 times per week.
We review code via pull requests ✔️
We pair smartly✔️
We advocate Test-Driven Development (TDD)✔️
We treat staging like production✔️
Data Engineering @ Trainline 👋
Data is at the heart of what we do at Trainline. Our Data Engineers are responsible for our real time data processing platform, which processes billions of rows a day into our Data Lake and hosts a number of exciting data products in production. We work with Data Science and Product to create data-driven products that challenge and change how our customers travel and interact with our platform.
// As a Data Engineer at Trainline you will...🚄
- Use cutting edge Data technology to deliver world class Data applications
- Contribute and support the Technical / Architecture Direction of the team
- Work in a self-organised Agile team
- Question and shape the teams direction
// We'd love to hear from you if you...🔍
- Thrive in a diverse, open and collaborative environment
- Have excellent knowledge of at least one of the following programming languages (Clojure, Python, Java, Scala).
- A consistent background in software development in high volume environments
- Worked with stream processing technologies (Kafka, Storm, AWS Kinesis, etc).
- Are passionate about building customer focused data products
- Have worked with AWS in previous roles (including acronyms such as, EMR, ECS, EKS)
// Our Technology Stack
We use a variety of technologies at Trainline. Our core stack in Data is:
- Clojure, Java and Python - we're pragmatic: using the right language for the job
- Kafka, Kafka Streams and KSQL
- Spark (both PySpark and Clojure)
- AWS, S3, Parquet and Glue for our Data Lake
- RedShift, Athena and Tableau for reporting.
Everything begins with great people, as well as aptitude, we put a heavy emphasis on attitude.
Coaches Over Heroes
- We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those individuals who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
- Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
- We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
- We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.
We are a one-stop shop for train travel. Every day, we bring together routes, fares and journey times from train companies in 24 countries so our customers can easily buy train tickets and save time, hassle or money.
We help our customers stay one step ahead so they don’t have to, from helping them buy the best ticket for their journey to giving them live, personalised travel information on the go via our app.