Trainline is an innovative, tech business with a mission to bring together the world’s rail, coach and other travel services into one simple experience. We aim to make travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices. We’re hugely proud to be the world’s leading independent rail and coach travel platform and rank among the highest-rated travel and ticketing apps globally. Today, we offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 45 countries in Europe and beyond. That’s more than £3.7 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 90 million visits to our apps and websites each month. In another major milestone, Trainline listed on the London Stock Exchange in June 2019 and is now part of the FTSE 250.
Our culture is central to our success. We’re driven to sustain our phenomenal growth from recent years, and this means we’re always working closely and collaboratively to turn our ideas into reality. It’s this sense of pace, innovating and improving pretty much everything we do, that makes Trainline so exciting and unique - we truly believe our work has a genuine impact and will change travel for the better.
The Finance team has been central to supporting the business through this continued growth. Headed up by Shaun McCabe (a proven Finance leader in Digital & Technology), the team is laser focused on thinking insight not simply numbers, adding value across the business and acting as a true commercial partner at every step. To support our ambitious commercial goals, we’re expanding our world-class Finance team to drive the next stage of our development.
Reporting to our Commercial Finance Director, you’ll play a pivotal role within the Finance team ensuring our planning cycle is coordinated effectively and executed with rigour and precision. As the bridge between Commercial Finance and Management Accounts, you’ll bring these two worlds together through strategy planning, budgeting and reporting to synthesise an end-to-end view of Trainline’s Group business. You’ll be managing a team of highly regarded, experienced qualified accountants, and will need to blend strong commercial instinct and a knack for collaboration whilst embracing new tooling to help take Financial Planning to the next level.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Leading the business through annual planning and budgeting cycle - driving financial and non-financial forecasting and KPIs, synthesising key figures and assumptions, evaluating risks and opportunities, and building Exec-ready output
- Developing and driving model-building on Anaplan, our new financial forecasting tool
- Providing monthly rolling forecast updates - helping the business manage trade-offs in delivering against financial targets and maintaining financial control, whilst building a narrative to facilitate trade-off decisions at Exec level
- Supporting the business through strategic planning and decision-making process – maintaining the 3/5 year plan outlook, and contributing to the objective assessment of past investments and future opportunities
- Proactive involvement in other business-critical ad hoc projects including Investor and Analyst narrative, corporate development opportunities and M&A
This is a truly career defining role for someone passionate about both the commercial and business sides of Finance looking for an opportunity to play an important part in leading a highly rated, growing team. In return for your hard work, we’ll provide you with lots of opportunity for progression within Finance or into the wider business as you play your part in disrupting and defining a product that will change the way people travel and impacting millions of people every day.
We’re looking for creative big thinkers with small egos to achieve our ambitious plans. Most importantly, you’ll be a qualified accountant ideally with +5 years PQE with strong academics, and bring a proactive, can-do attitude. You’ll ideally have previous experience within e-commerce, technology or a consumer-centric business, and be at your best working with pace and energy within a fast moving, growth environment.
Combining strong commercial know-how with a flair for creative problem solving, you’ll have a strong track record within Financial Planning, and a passion for data-driven decision making. Your analytical, inquisitive mindset goes without saying, and you’ll be comfortable storytelling and producing board-ready output.
Strong and charismatic in your management style, you’ll be unafraid of mucking in and getting your hands dirty around modelling and analysis. Similarly, your expertise in project management must be high, and you’ll understand the importance of robust organization and prioritization managing multiple work streams in an ever-changing environment.
What we offer:
- 25 days holiday +2 extra days at Christmas
- Free private medical and dental insurance for you and your family (you just pay the tax on what you choose!)
- Life assurance & income protection
- Good pension scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Charity leave
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Free breakfast everyday and fruit galore!
- Yoga Mondays
- Salsa classes
- Board Game nights
....and many more
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.
We are a one-stop shop for train travel. Every day, we bring together routes, fares and journey times from train companies in 24 countries so our customers can easily buy train tickets and save time, hassle or money.
We help our customers stay one step ahead so they don’t have to, from helping them buy the best ticket for their journey to giving them live, personalised travel information on the go via our app.