Trainline is the leading independent rail and coach travel platform selling rail and coach tickets to millions of travelers worldwide. Via our highly rated website and mobile app, people can seamlessly search, book and manage their journeys all in one place. We bring together millions of routes, fares and journey times from 270 rail and coach carriers across 45 countries. We offer our customers the best price for their journey and smart, real time travel information on the go. Our aim is to make rail and coach travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices.
Technology @ Trainline
Over half of our staff are technologists, we're changing the way that people travel through the use of high quality software and technological innovation.
We know that great software requires great coding practices. Trainline is used by millions of people every day, we process 90 million+ visits per month. It simply would not be possible to move fast enough if we were not able to trust our engineers to produce code of the highest quality. Here are some key practices which we insist upon across our teams that allow us to release with speed and quality.
We review code via pull requests ✔️
We pair smartly✔️
We advocate Test-Driven Development (TDD)✔️
We treat staging like production✔️
Introducing the Web team 👋
Our web team are a key front end channel team. They own the web applications that allow our customers to buy a ticket ie. the web flows from home page to confirmation page across both Desktop Web and Mobile Web platforms. The team is split into small focused squads composed of engineers at varying seniority and a Team Lead, with an Engineering Manager overseeing strategic direction and delivery. The main stack is React/Redux, Node, Typescript, RxJS, with a focus on test driven development.
As a Senior Web Engineer at Trainline, here's some things you'll be working on...
- Join a high performing, inclusive team - inspire people, own results
- Work on checkout and payment pages for one of the largest ecommerce sites in the UK
- Contribute to process improvements, iterating along the way
- Operate in a full stack environment with a focus on clean, quality code
- Improve upon, and build solutions for web performance, accessibility, web analytics, localisation, multi-currency support, and browser compatibility.
We'd love to hear from you if you..🔎
- Consider yourself reliable, transparent and considerate
- Thrive in a diverse, open and collaborative environment
- Have strong understanding of functional programming and associated design patterns
and you've worked on..
- Highly scalable web applications, or high traffic web sites
- Frontend and Backend systems
Everything begins with great people, as well as aptitude, we put a heavy emphasis on attitude.
Coaches Over Heroes
- We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those individuals who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
- Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
- We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
- We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.
We are a one-stop shop for train travel. Every day, we bring together routes, fares and journey times from train companies in 24 countries so our customers can easily buy train tickets and save time, hassle or money.
We help our customers stay one step ahead so they don’t have to, from helping them buy the best ticket for their journey to giving them live, personalised travel information on the go via our app.