We’re Trainline, Europe’s leading rail and coach travel app. We know travel’s better when there’s less stress and less time spent planning, therefore our aim is to bring together all rail, coach and other services into one simple experience, so customers get the best prices and smart, real time travel info on the go 🚝🚌🌎
Technology @ Trainline
Over half of our staff are technologists, we're changing the way that people travel through the use of high quality software and technological innovation.
We know that great software requires great coding practices. Trainline is used by millions of people every day, we process over 200 ticket sales per minute, and 80 million+ transactions per month. It simply would not be possible to move fast enough if we were not able to trust our engineers to produce code of the highest quality. Here are some key practices which we insist upon across our teams that allow us to release over 300 times per week.
We review code via pull requests ✔️
We pair smartly✔️
We advocate Test-Driven Development (TDD)✔️
We treat staging like production✔️
Purpose of the Role...
To assist with our ambitious expansion plans we are looking for a Web Architect to join our architecture team positioned in our cross-functional web engineering function. You will be accountable for the system and applications architecture of all Trainline web technology front end channels (Desktop web, Mobile web, Call Centre)
//As the Web Architect at Trainline, you will...🚄
- Work closely with Chief Architect, Security team, Web Engineering Managers and Lead Web Developers to drive and champion the evolution of Trainline's web-based tech stack, application architecture, and best practices
- Ensure our web estate has a high-quality codebase, is maintainable while meeting non-functionals (fast, reliable, scalable, secure and continuously deliverable).
- Reporting to the Chief Architect and a key member of the architecture team. You’re the representative and advocate for all web-based channels when it comes to estate wide architectural and design concerns.
//We'd love to hear from you if you have...🔍
- Similar experience working in a fast pace, high tech environment building highly scalable web applications or high traffic sites
- Excellent communication and delegation skills – this is a part hands-on role – you decide where you need to be hands-on to shape key decisions, and where you supervise/delegate
- A strong background in front end engineering/architecture and exposure to our key stack (react.js, node.js, .Net, AWS)
Everything begins with great people, as well as aptitude, we put a heavy emphasis on attitude.
Coaches Over Heroes
- We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those individuals who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
- Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
- We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
- We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.
We are a one-stop shop for train travel. Every day, we bring together routes, fares and journey times from train companies in 24 countries so our customers can easily buy train tickets and save time, hassle or money.
We help our customers stay one step ahead so they don’t have to, from helping them buy the best ticket for their journey to giving them live, personalised travel information on the go via our app.