Software Engineer II - Commerce- Backend
TripAdvisor, Needham, MA
Know better. Book better. Go better.
We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique perspective and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
Within Tripadvisor, the Commerce team is responsible for maintaining the company's business-critical Hotel Auction, which runs billions of times per day to help travelers book the perfect hotel stay while generating hundreds of millions of dollars in annual revenue. In addition to deploying highly-performant, consumer-scale web services that power the auction, we also maintain back-office systems that process a massive amount of data, delivering valuable insights to auction partners and business stakeholders.
We are looking for an experienced back-end software engineer to maintain and enhance the auction’s core features, as well as modernize and streamline the supporting infrastructure that keeps it running efficiently and reliably around the clock.
Working collaboratively with a variety of business and engineering stakeholders, this new Commerce team member will:
- Design, implement, test, and deploy new features and improvements to help the team execute on key Product and engineering-driven initiatives.
- Work effectively across all layers of the service stack, from designing clean microservice APIs, to building efficient ETLs that feed data-hungry applications by crunching data from a variety of relational/non-relational sources.
- Own projects end-to-end: from initial design, requirements-vetting, and estimation, to verifying changes in production and proactively addressing any follow-up tasks.
- Develop expertise in one or more technical areas and share their knowledge with the team.
- Provide code-reviews to teammates, ensuring that a proposed change meets to the team’s coding standards, best practices, and audit requirements.
- Actively seek feedback from peers, and help promote a collaborative, fast-paced engineering culture.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or similar technical program
- 2+ years of professional, full-lifecycle software development experience within the context of a large-scale web application or service, written in Java (preferred) or C#
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design
- Experience working with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL) and/or data-warehouse technologies like Hadoop, Hive, and Snowflake
- Demonstrated ability to take end-to-end ownership of projects, working independently and collaboratively to clarify requirements, choose an appropriate implementation approach, and deliver high-quality code
- Experience with building and deploying software solutions on an AWS stack
- Experience defining AWS infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, CDK) and CI/CD pipelines
- Experience participating in an operational support rotation
- Experience managing Linux (CentOS) server environments
TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to unleash the potential of every trip. TripAdvisor offers advice from millions of travelers, with 500 million reviews and opinions covering 7 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions, and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features — checking more than 200 websites to help travelers find and book today's lowest hotel prices. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching 390 million average unique monthly visitors** in 49 markets worldwide. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.
Want to learn more about TripAdvisor? Visit TripAdvisor's website.
Using digital technology to transform the physical world