Vice President of Engineering, China
TripAdvisor, Needham, MA or Beijing, China
Know better. Book better. Go better.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) is an online travel company and operates the world’s largest travel site. More than 455 million unique visitors use TripAdvisor’s sites every month. TripAdvisor was also recently recognized as the world’s most popular travel app with over 215 million downloads worldwide.
TripAdvisor China is able to provide the tools to help travelers break out of the traditional group tour model to have a more authentic and individualized travel experience. TripAdvisor operates under a unique hybrid model in China where local management is provided with significant flexibility and independence for local decision making and development of new products whilst at the same time given access to reuse and leverage TripAdvisor’s global code base.
TripAdvisor China is looking for an online technology and business leader who will establish and execute our technical vision, lead our Chinese engineering efforts, drive the company’s strategic direction, development and future growth. You will define realistic targets and milestones, focus the engineering team, encourage a high level of team participation and interaction, serve as mentor and coach, and live and breathe our “Speed Wins” approach —all while implementing world class design methodologies and processes that support product delivery including software development, release management, product testing, and product documentation.
You will be a core member of the China leadership team with direct and indirect reporting lines to TripAdvisor’s China business leadership as well as TripAdvisor’s global Engineering leadership. You will drive the technical map and the strategic vision for our China site, accelerate product innovation, and build and lead a world-class software development team located in Needham (Boston) and Beijing.
What You Will Do
- Lead, manage, and grow a 50+ member technical team in Needham, MA and Beijing including software development engineers, QA, systems administrators, and IT
- Manage all software activities necessary to take design specifications from architecture to general production delivery
- Identify and drive improvements in the development process that facilitates quality, customer experience, schedule, and cost improvements
- Think strategically and operate tactically to drive and deliver on the technical vision
- Architect, monitor, question and evolve how we work in order to ensure that China engineering resources are being well utilized
- Play a key overall company leadership role as part of the China leadership team
What You Will Bring to the Team
- A Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science
- A minimum of 10 years prior related management experience
- Fluency in both English and Mandarin Chinese required
- Proven track record of hiring, mentoring, and developing engineers
- Strong experience with agile software development techniques, developer driven testing, and highly automated test environments
- Experience with the design and development of e-commerce and media web sites
- Experience with a wide range of technologies including Java, Tomcat, PHP, PostgreSQL, Apache, Ajax, JSON, and other web technologies
- Experience with large data sets using Hadoop and other NoSQL technologies
- Exceptional problem solving skills with an eye towards delivering solutions quickly
- Strong understanding of object oriented design patterns and how they are used in software design
- Previous experience leading the technical function for an online consumer brand a plus
- The capacity to set a strong vision for technology
- Strong execution/implementation skills
- Ability to communicate and work successfully across functions within a multinational organization
- Must be able to perform customary physical duties and meet appropriate social expectations of a professional office environment.
- Willing to travel between the US and China
TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to unleash the potential of every trip. TripAdvisor offers advice from millions of travelers, with 500 million reviews and opinions covering 7 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions, and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features — checking more than 200 websites to help travelers find and book today's lowest hotel prices. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching 390 million average unique monthly visitors** in 49 markets worldwide. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.
Want to learn more about TripAdvisor? Visit TripAdvisor's website.
Jobs You May Like
SAP FICO Specialist
SF Motors, Santa Clara, CA
Senior Backend Engineer
Peloton, New York, NY
Site reliability/Devops engineers
The Democratic Party , Remote
Data Operation Analyst (Contractor)
App Annie, Beijing, China
Senior Security Engineer - Vulnerability Management and Red Team
Slack, San Francisco
Tapingo, Tel Aviv