Tumblr is looking for data scientists to use Tumblr's data to better understand our hundreds of millions of registered users, learn what makes them tick, and inform better decision-making and strategy for our product. We want data scientists who know how to use their knowledge and skill with data and statistics to create real, actionable product insights. Above all else, we want you to be someone who is excited to be let loose on Tumblr’s many terabytes of data.
What you’ll do:
- Apply various data modeling techniques to model user behavior and identify actionable levers for retaining and growing users.
- Define key metrics, conduct A/B testing, and oversee statistical measurement of new algorithms and approaches.
- Develop key data sets and expose them as a reusable libraries and utilities.
- Enhance analytics ETL pipeline and automate recurring analytics tasks.
- Monitor the trends of metrics and identify root cause of unexpected changes.
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to solve problems and identify trends and opportunities for user growth.
Who you are:
- BA/BS degree in a quantitative field (CS, Math, Statistics, Economics, etc.) strongly preferred.
- 3+ years of experience with large datasets. Extra credit for of varied levels of structure.
- Experience working with Python. Bonus points if you've used it to build robust data pipelines and automate data tasks.
- Experience Knowledge of SQL skills against large datasets
- Desire to apply academic knowledge to solve real-world problems
- Smarts, humility, and equal willingness to learn and teach
- Ability to work with APIs in Python a plus (e.g. Google Analytics, Tumblr).
Tools We Use:
- Python (we also like R)
- Hive, MySQL
- Google Sheets
- Git, Jira
- Jupyter, Luigi
- Pandas, Scikit-learn
Tumblr launched in 2007 with the belief that people need for a place to say what they want, be who they want, and connect over what they love. Now, 10 years and hundreds of millions of blogs later, we continue to build out Tumblr as a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection.
From art to music to dank memes to social justice, we’re proud to serve all the subcultures that call Tumblr home, and even more proud of the impact they’ve had the world. No matter what department you work with here, you’ll be working to give our users a voice, and to make that voice heard far and wide.
We know—this sounds like a big task. It is. That’s why we need smart, humble, funny people to keep Tumblr running and growing. We’re big enough to give you the resources you need and still small enough that you can work on things that matter. Come work with us.
Our commitment to diversity
Tumblr is a platform for diverse communities to express diverse points of view, and we’re committed to hiring a workforce that reflects that. We know that teams who bring a variety of backgrounds and perspectives into their work build better products—and that better products mean, in turn, a better experience for all of the communities we serve. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
If you require any kind of special accommodation, don’t hesitate to contact us.
People come to Tumblr to expand their perspectives. They join a community and a cultural dialogue that exposes them up to new ideas, new passions, and new forms of self-expression. People seem to really like this thing we’ve built, and we need smart, humble, funny people to keep it running and growing. We’re big enough to give you the resources you need and still small enough that you can work on things that matter. Come work with us.