Principal Software Engineer - Architecture Team
Twilio, San Francisco or Mountain View, CA
See jobs at Twilio
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Principal Engineer for the Architecture team. This role will work directly with the Architects and have interaction with all of the product teams at Twilio. Reporting to the VP of Architecture, this position is critical and will help us tackle some of the most complex engineering challenges at the company.
Twilio is looking for a Principal engineer with deep experience in data storage, distributed systems and highly scalable cloud topologies. In the Twilio Architecture team we believe that versatility and complementing proficiencies are the key to forming a better team. We are therefore looking for people with a variety of skills and specializations. You should have at least 2 of the proficiencies below to be considered for the role:
- Data persistency. You are an expert in designing, operating and fine tuning highly available data persistency layers. You teach and mentor engineers on how to apply CAP theorem in everyday operations.
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and efficient systems.
- Java. You are a Java enthusiast and professional. There is at least one framework in which you can be called an expert.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCC, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Security. You are able to design secure distributed systems and assure operational processes around security. You understand fitness for purpose of security techniques.
Additionally, you have 10+ years of practical experience in building high scale, mission critical systems and you have experience leading a technical team.
Bachelors/Masters degree required, or equivalent experience.
As a Principal Engineer on the Architecture team , you will:
- Be part of a small, high-impact and multi-talented engineering team in San Francisco or Mountain View
- Develop low latency, highly available, globally distributed services in the flight path of every product at Twilio.
- Develop proof of concepts, shared libraries and services that will be used across the product engineering organization.
- Work with the engineering teams to help research and choose technologies, design system architecture and model data in a scalable and efficient way.
- Excel as an engineer and be a productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title.
The Architecture team is central to Twilio's continued growth. We work collaboratively with all engineering teams at Twilio and help drive the future technology directions for the company. We are the domain experts that help product teams to build and scale their systems to support our amazing growth.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position can be located in our San Francisco office at 375 Beale Street or our Mountain View office at 399 W. El Camino Real. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice, and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 800 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Malmö, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.