Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Solutions Engineering Director to be a key leader in delivering key wins within the growth customer segment. This role will set the strategy and direction for our technical engagement in the sales cycle across North America. You will also take a hands on approach to coaching and helping your team run with new opportunities. This role will work closely with all levels of the Sales leadership team to shape how our Account Executive teams execute. This position is critical to ensuring the continued success of our sales team.
Twilio is looking for a Director of Solutions Engineering with a demonstrated track record of customer-facing technical leadership. We seek someone with:
- Strong team leadership ability is required, with 5+ years experience as a direct manager of teams in a customer-facing pre-sales technical role
- Experience with strategic planning and setting strategies for Technical Sales teams and advising non-Technical Sales teams
- Experience building programs that have impact and reach across teams
- Hands on approach to problem solving. Always ready to work opportunities directly alongside your team when needed.
- Ability and desire to teach both Sales Engineers and Account Executives
- A strong understanding of the new business sales cycle, as well as experience in the technology areas relevant to Twilio’s market: contact center, IP-based telephony, messaging, real-time communications, scaling web and mobile applications.
- A world class communicator. Confident influencing and engaging with a highly skilled and experienced audience including C-level executives.
- Typically 25-40% travel.
As Solutions Engineering Director, you will:
- Partner with sales leadership to set our strategy for finding, closing and supporting new opportunities and expanding the Twilio footprint in our existing customer base.
- Works across functions to ensure collaboration for shared goals
- Build and roll out programs that facilitate scaling
- Attract, develop, and motivate a team of high-performing Sales Engineers, continually educating your team and seeking innovative solutions for improving your team
- Technical strategy – determine what role sales engineers should play in closing new business, and how to deploy the existing resources most effectively.
- Measure and communicate results – use data to communicate results and make decisions.
- Ensure that your team has the support that they need to be successful as well as providing direct coaching and guidance on a day to day basis
- Engage with Product, Support, Sales, Operations, Legal, Security, Engineering, and every single other department as necessary to make your customers successful on our platform
The growth Sales team is critical to Twilio’s continued revenue growth and Solutions Engineering plays a crucial role in the success of sales at Twilio. Bringing new customers on board to our platform requires excellent technical understanding and communication and close partnership with the Sales team. Expanding the footprint of Twilio in our existing customer base requires building deep technical partnerships with our strategic customers. Twilio’s API driven approach to powering communications allows for nearly unlimited variety of use cases which leads to constant technical learning and exploration. Solutions Engineering is essential to drive our continued success in bringing on new customers with all sorts of use cases onto our platform.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful new office at 101 Spear Street in the Rincon Center in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday Night dinners, monthly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice, and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 800 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Malmö, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.