Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and we're proud to have our Phone Numbers Product drive industry direction through breadth, depth and innovation. We're looking for a backend engineer to join us as we begin the next stage of Phone Numbers at Twilio, pushing forward the entire industry in the process.
Backend engineers at Twilio are responsible for building products for developers, builders and operators alike. You will work closely with Product and Design and be responsible for building low latency, highly scalable APIs.
A great day for you would be working alongside a small and collaborative team, whiteboarding ideas, building APIs used by all Twilio customers, as well as constantly improving services that power Twilio’s top products and also generate significant revenue. At the same time, you will be helping more junior developers by mentoring them, providing guidance, and positively influencing their careers.
Twilio is looking for a Backend Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of building highly scalable products while working with complex distributed systems. They also have:
- 5+ years of Java experience. Experience with at least one framework in which you can be called an expert.We are flexible on the years of experience if you rock it on the tech tests!
- 3+ years of experience working with highly scalable large distributed systems, relational databases like MySQL, data pipeline systems, frameworks to build high-performance RESTful web services. We are flexible on the years of experience if you rock it on the tech tests!
- Well versed (and opinionated) on what makes a good REST API.
- Prior experience working with PHP and/or Python is a plus
- Experience designing, building and supporting mission critical user-facing systems.
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills. You work with your team towards common goals.
- A healthy ability to manage and resolve conflict - you have the ability to listen, present, and question effectively
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) with 5 years of experience with software development lifecycle and processes
As a Backend Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: Self-starter who can see the big picture and prioritize work to make the largest impact
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Passion for and proven track record of executing product opportunities deeply grounded in customer needs
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Be part of a small, high-impact and hardworking engineering team. Show strong engagement in the team setting
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborating and brainstorming product ideas with product managers, design, and engineers.
- BE AN OWNER: Truly own the product you work on. Be responsible for SLA, oncall, incident resolution, customer feedback and participate in blameless post-mortems to make our products better.
Twilio has been used by millions of developers and the Phone numbers product is at the heart of Twilio. We interact with customers from when they first sign up and get their first Twilio number, and thereafter every single time they search for a number, provision a number or when their call or message flows through Twilio’s platform.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located remotely in Colombia. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice, and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 800 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Malmö, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Want to learn more about Twilio? Visit Twilio's website.
The best bed for better sleep