Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why, and Where
The Segment Infrastructure organization within Twilio is looking for an engineering leader who is passionate about creating high-quality, modern solutions to complex engineering problems and help define the future of Customer Data Platforms.
In this role, you will be responsible for leading and growing a team of talented
Compute Platform SRE engineers and collaborating with product development leaders to ship features that form the foundation of a strong Customer Data Platform. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team.
We are looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of working in a fast-paced and iterative environment. They also have:
- 3+ years of experience as an engineering leader of a healthy and high-performing engineering team
- Experience managing an engineering team(s) on large-scale projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems, and/or storage
- Hands-on capability, and detailed knowledge of container orchestration systems such as Kubernetes, Mesos, or Docker Swarm
- Experience in leading cross-functional teams to deliver important business outcomes
- Experience in leading large-scale distributed systems engineering teams
- Strong execution mindset with a vision to evolve the platform
- CS, EE, or CE degree and/or a demonstrable, solid understanding of CS fundamentals
- Demonstrably effective communicator — in spoken and written forms
As a Senior Engineering Manager you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- You will be driving the roadmap and execution of the newly created Compute Platform within the Segment Infrastructure group
- Opportunity to hire, help to shape the charter / roadmap and grow the team
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Continuously deliver value to customers.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Guide the team through Agile methodologies and grow employees’ career development, coaching and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans, defining goals, perform evaluations, and collaborate with employees on their objectives.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Collaborate on roadmaps with product development leaders to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt. You will break down roadblocks, manage communications with stakeholders and dependent teams as well as create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection
- BE INCLUSIVE: Foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders by instituting development best practices. This ensures the team produces high-quality, well-architected, and supportable code through a continuous delivery model
- BE AN OWNER: Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services with a rotating on-call incident escalation and response process for the team
- DON’T SETTLE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruit and motivate top talent
A glimpse of what we do within the Segment Infrastructure - Compute Platform group:
- Several pieces of Segment’s core data pipeline, including Centrifuge, our message delivery system, run on Kubernetes
- We open sourced kubeapply, a lightweight tool for git-based management of Kubernetes configs
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is open for remote locations anywhere in the USA. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well-being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video, and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $160,896.00 - $221,232.00
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $140,784.00 - $193,578.00
Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice, and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 800 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Malmö, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Want to learn more about Twilio? Visit Twilio's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one