See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff Software Engineer
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position will be part of a team of talented engineers within our Billing Platform who build services and products that operate at a massive scale. This platform is central to Twilio’s core business and is responsible for services to process all billing events and provides financial services for the company. The Billing Platform organization works toward building a platform for the future which hides the complexity that comes from complex distributed financial systems.
The successful candidate will design, architect, and build core platform services, REST APIs and help transition our platform to next generation architecture. As a Staff Engineer, you will help design billing infrastructure that works for all Twilio customers - regardless of their billing complexity. This role will work across teams and on initiatives that help us continue to evolve the platform.
In this role, you’ll:
- Leverage your deep technical background building scalable distributed systems software and passionately bring about positive change in architecture, efficient engineering execution, and delivering operational excellence. You will design, architect, and build core platform services, REST APIs and help transition our platform to next generation architecture.
- Leverage your curiosity, tenacity to learn, and engineering skills to build and debug high traffic applications. You have excellent experience and are passionate about debugging and scaling production infrastructure and services. You have a good understanding of AWS infrastructure or similar public cloud providers. Mentor, establish engineering best practices throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Self driven - not afraid to take on complete ownership of your tasks and champion efforts to see tasks through to completion. Leverage your analytical and quantitative background and drive data driven decisions. You will understand, and come up with what makes good input and output metrics and the mechanisms to support them. You will focus on quality through metrics-based defect tracking and take pride in delivery. Use your genuine enjoyment of learning and diving into nuts-and-bolts of how things work. Ensure successful definition, architecture, design, implementation and timely delivery of the software platform.
- Operate effectively in a fast paced environment. Continually improve processes, and improve the maturity of engineering execution.
- Leverage your excellent communication and written skills to articulate the “why” for the solution you are proposing, have a good understanding of your team’s priorities and the customer impact
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Experienced software engineer with a track record of building scalable distributed systems in software companies. Passionate about architecture, efficient engineering execution, and delivering operational excellence. Experience working on production software - ensures successful definition, architecture, design, implementation and timely delivery of the software platform. Have 5+ years of experience in software engineering working on backend systems.
- Software engineer with a strong analytical and quantitative background. Highly data driven in decision making and understand what makes good input and output metrics and the mechanisms to support them. Focussed on quality through metrics-based defect tracking and takes pride in delivery.
- Experience working with stakeholders at all levels - be able to dive into nuts-and-bolts of how things work as needed. Experience operating in a fast paced environment. Be able to define structure, processes, and improve the maturity of engineering execution.
- Experience mentoring engineers and fostering an inclusive environment, where all points of view are welcomed and encouraged. Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent. You are able to articulate the “why” for a team’s priorities and the customer impact.
- Have a BS/MS/PhD degree in Computer Science.
This role will be based in our Dublin, Ireland office.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice, and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 800 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Malmö, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Want to learn more about Twilio? Visit Twilio's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.