See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Lead Software Engineer in the Platform Engineering group.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
Twilio is hiring Software Engineers for a technical leadership role in Platform Engineering to oversee the operation of Twilio’s worldwide services and infrastructure to meet high-availability, scalability, quality, and reliability goals. You will lead the team in a technical role, including developing automated tooling and operational capabilities to enable real-time, low-latency services for next-generation communications infrastructure worldwide.
As an Engineering Lead in the Platform Engineering team, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: You will guide development, deployment, and operations of Twilio’s worldwide services based on Twilio standard procedures and guidelines towards 24x7 availability, with high-performance, scalable, and zero-downtime releases in our AWS environment
- WRITE IT DOWN: You will craft best practices as runbooks and standard operating procedures to share knowledge goodness across teams
- DRAW THE OWL: We still have problems we haven’t even thought of! You’ll need to recognize gaps in systems, services, and processes to achieve ultimate success
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You have the desire to collaborate across teams on best practices to build, test, and operate services at scale
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Strong sense of ownership over the success of your products/services. If you notice a risk/issue, find a resolution
- Wear the customer's shoes. Take the time to fully understand their needs, then design considerate solutions to support them
- Empower your coworkers through clear communication, documentation and on job training
- Skilled at defining a roadmap, collaborating across multiple global teams, and guiding development, configuration, deployment, and operations of new regional infrastructure for Twilio’s platform
- Proficient in building Devops tools and frameworks, with an understanding of continuous deployment processes
- Ability to think at scale, bringing a focus on continuous delivery methodologies from design through deployment and operations
- Experience building and managing systems with tools such as Kubernetes, Chef/Ansible/Puppet, Kafka, Docker, and Terraform
- Bachelors/Masters degree required, or equivalent experience
- Depth of operational experience in complex distributed systems, including defining, measuring, and monitoring SLO/SLAs towards high-availability and reliability goals
- Experience operating large-scale Java-based systems and media services in production across multiple regions or data centers in a cloud platform or enterprise-scale environment
- 5+ years of experience, including 2+ years leading a team in a DevOps/SRE environment
This position will ideally be located in our Atlanta office, but we are also open to a remote opportunity. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Location dependent information:
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $132,928-$182,776
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $116,312-$159,929
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice, and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 800 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Malmö, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Want to learn more about Twilio? Visit Twilio's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!