See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Director of Engineering, Container Platform
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
Twilio's Platform Engineering team is responsible for building the core compute, communications, and deployment systems used across all engineering teams at Twilio. We build the tools and platforms that allow Twilio Engineering teams to focus on their area of expertise, from the Twilio Console and Edge API down to the Voice, Video, and IoT core.
As Twilio continues its journey to empower our customers to build any communications experience across any channel, the Platform Engineering team ensures we can scale as the business grows. As stewards for how Twilio engineers run their applications, we sit at the intersection of application engineering, architecture, design, and operations -- the decisions we make and tools we build have a lasting impact on how Twilio's services delight our customers.
Twilio is looking for a senior engineering leader to own and operate the next generation compute platform for containerized workloads in AWS / EKS as part of the platform engineering in the United States.
In this role, you’ll:
- Lead multiple software engineering teams with the mission to deliver the next generation container platform powered by AWS / EKS.
- Define and own execution of long term strategy for internal developer platform
- Own and operate the compute substrate at scale for heterogeneous workloads across the company
- Cultivate strong working relationships with stakeholders, partners, customers and set, communicate and meet expectations for key business owners and executives.
As a Senior Leader you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- Be Inclusive & Empower Others: You will foster the growth of an inclusive, high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be an expert to lead and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- Be An Owner & Be Bold: You will be the technical lead responsible and accountable for the well-being, delivery, and growth within the team. How will you develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
- No Shenanigans: Great technical leaders use good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
- Wear The Customer’s Shoes: Your team will ship great platform features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
- Write It Down: You will communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Will you communicate with empathy and understanding even in stressful situations?
- Draw The Owl: You’ll forge the vision for how containers and Kubernetes make an impact at Twilio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- You have in-depth, hands-on experience building platforms at scale for containerized workloads, particularly leveraging Kubernetes, including cluster provisioning, operations, workload optimization, and workflow orchestration.
- You are a software engineering leader that is passionate, empathetic and loves to mentor.
- You have a strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- You have demonstrated experience leading teams, mentoring junior engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- You have software engineering leadership experience in a large-scale, enterprise environment, leading teams which build and operate mission-critical PaaS or SaaS products.
- You’re ready to join a remote-friendly, remote-first team, working across timezones in North America.
Bachelor’s Degree in CS or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- Experience developing products on cloud service providers: AWS, GCP, Azure, or similar
- Experience building platforms and common services, shared software solutions and infrastructure at scale.
This role will be in the remote US.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location Specific Information)
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $165,960 - $243,408.
- Non-Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice, and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 800 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Malmö, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Want to learn more about Twilio? Visit Twilio's website.
File hosting service