See yourself at Twilio
See yourself at Twilio.
Join the team as our next Staff Infrastructure Engineer - Observability Platform
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed for building the next-generation observability platform for Twilio Segment Infrastructure.
We’re looking for a Staff Infrastructure Engineer to roll out the next-gen observability platform across Twilio Segment and Twilio Engage. We're building a tracing database that can store more data, more cheaply, than any commercial solution. You will be instrumental in rolling this solution out to the rest of the company and helping make Twilio profitable over the next year.
In this role, you will:
- Help product teams figure out what is happening within their services, both by deploying a high-quality tracing solution and ensuring that solution has a great user experience.
- Build and deploy globally available and highly scalable distributed systems with our infrastructure-as-code deployment system
- Collaborate with teams across the R&D org for rolling out the next-gen observability platform
- Own, develop, operate, and maintain a highly available observability platform for Twilio engineers
- Be the voice of the platform users by creating a culture of user empathy
- Foster an engineering-driven culture upholding a high bar for technical excellence
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 6+ years of experience building and operating high-availability production systems
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code technologies such as Terraform or similar tools
- Experience in systems programming using Go, Java, C, or other programming languages
- Experience as a key contributor to large-scale platform projects
- Hands-on capability, and detailed knowledge of metrics, logging, tracing, profiling, alerting, and visualization systems with technical deep-dives into code and designing high availability systems
- Detailed understanding of reliability engineering metrics such as MTTR, MTTD, SLI, SLO, etc.
- CS, EE, or CE degree and/or a demonstrable, solid understanding of CS fundamentals
- You're going to be working with a lot of different teams and a lot of different codebases, and a key to success is being able to get up to speed quickly.
- Previous experience building or deploying observability platforms
- Demonstrated open source contributions and/or deep knowledge of open source observability platforms
- Strong system engineering knowledge in file systems and storage
This role will be remote and based in North America (US or Canada)
What we offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including things like competitive pay, generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,080.00 - $200,100.00.
- Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
- Non-Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice, and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 800 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Malmö, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Want to learn more about Twilio? Visit Twilio's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.