K-12 Teacher - Elementary, Middle, High School Teacher (School Year 20-21)
Uncommon Schools, New York NY, US
See jobs at Uncommon Schools
All Uncommon Schools teachers hold primary responsibility for the implementation of Uncommon’s curriculum and the success of our students. Therefore, Uncommon Schools seeks teachers who are committed to becoming best-in-class educators, who are continuously improving instructional practices through collaboration and targeted development within their school community. We are currently seeking both experienced and apprentice teachers for all grades and all subjects for the 19-20 school year.
- Implement curricula and activities to meet our high academic standards
- Analyze assessments that measure progress towards these standards and use this assessment data to inform and differentiate instructional practices
- Focus constantly on student learning, thinking critically and strategically to respond to student learning needs
- Create a positive, structured learning environment to ensure that students observe the school’s core values, high expectations, and code of conduct
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues
- Commit to continual professional growth, participating actively in our annual, three-week staff orientation training in August and instructional training throughout the school year
- Participate and support grade-level activities and school-wide functions throughout the school-year
Strong applicants for all teaching roles (new and experienced) will possess the following:
- Relentless drive to improve the minds, characters & lives of students both in and out of school
- Unwavering commitment to urban youth achieving greatness
- Belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is a must
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for relevant academic subjects
- Evidence of self-motivation, willingness to be a team player, and a strong sense of personal responsibility
- Ability and desire to implement feedback from school leaders and colleagues to become a more effective educator in service to our students.
- A background in education is not required for new teachers, but strong candidates should show a demonstrated passion for working with K-12 students and prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities is preferred.
Additional qualifications for experienced teachers:
- Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred
- Valid State Certification and Master’s degree are helpful but not required.
- Candidates must have received a Bachelor's degree from a college or university before employment begins
- Candidates must have also earned a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.75 or higher by the time employment begins
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
About Uncommon Schools
Uncommon Schools starts and manages outstanding urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepare low-income students to graduate from college At Uncommon Schools, our classrooms are named after colleges because that’s where our students are headed. We are a nonprofit network of public charter schools in New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our 53 college-prep schools consistently rank among the highest-performing in their home states for three reasons:
We know all students have what it takes to go to college. We are fiercely committed to cultivating the intellectual curiosity and grit that will spur their success in the classroom and in their communities. We create and constantly fine-tune our systems to help teachers teach and students learn. We know that without great teachers and leaders, nothing else matters. We also know there’s no limit to learning. That’s why people development is at our core.