Design Research Lead
United Technologies Digital, New York
UT Digital serves customers in the commercial aerospace, defense, and building industries.
United Technologies Corporation (UTC) is a leader in the commercial aerospace, defense, and building industries. From elevators in the Burj Kalifa to life support systems in the International Space Station, our companies' products touch more than half of the world’s population every day, keeping people safe in challenging environments and comfortable and secure at home.
UT Digital partners with UTC’s businesses on vital challenges. A global team of 2500 creates software that makes UTC’s products and services more useful and relevant to the people who rely on them. As part of UT Digital, the newly formed, Brooklyn-based Digital Accelerator (DX) is home to a collective of product designers, engineers, and data scientists that are shaping the future of building systems, cities and aerospace.
The DX is seeking highly skilled design and technology practitioners that can wrangle the complex challenges at the heart of UTC’s businesses and leaders that can help our group grow. We engage with an array of sophisticated user experience and business domains, from industrial IoT and analytics that power smart products, factories and cities, to connected customer experiences that transform how products are manufactured, used and serviced.
If you are passionate about building things that matter, come work with us in Dumbo.
We are seeking a hands-on Design Research Lead to drive the DX’s understanding of the complex challenges that next-generation of UTC applications, products and services will address. You must be skilled, strategic, collaborative and comfortable with complexity — systemic and organizational alike. Your clarity, empathy, rigor and leadership abilities will drive what’s possible for your team and for the products you help create.
- Leading how teams learn; driving a user-centric understanding of the challenges a project is meant to address
- Working collaboratively with customers, business stakeholders and your project team (e.g., product managers, project managers, data scientists, design strategists, designers, developers and other design researchers) to define the right research objectives, audiences, areas of inquiry and activities
- Selecting which qualitative and quantitative research methodologies will best serve project needs and explaining their relative strengths and weaknesses
- Planning and conducting design research activities for a variety of projects: e.g., plan creation, contextual inquiry/field research, stakeholder interviews, survey design, secondary research, competitive analysis, research synthesis, development of conceptual frameworks and presentation of findings
- Creating and managing the development of design research outputs for a variety of projects: e.g., research briefs, test plans, screeners, interview guides, participatory research worksheets, personas, journey maps, and insights reports
- Helping build teams’ familiarity and fluency with essential insights; guiding them through the ingestion, interpretation and visualization of research findings
- Leading the presentation of research findings to various internal and external business stakeholders
- Helping define standard design research methods, tools and other best practices within the DX
- Helping create a toolkit of reusable design research artifacts for use by the DX and other UTC businesses
- Mentoring team members and business stakeholders around how to best conduct design research activities and create outputs
- Advocating for research-driven design processes with audiences that might be unfamiliar with the benefits (and costs) of user-centered approaches
About United Technologies Digital
United Technologies Digital blends creative design, development, and discovery to advance industrial technology solutions for moving the world forward. A strategic arm of United Technologies, one of the largest building and aerospace researchers and manufacturers.
United Technologies Digital is opening a Digital Accelerator in Brooklyn that will help create the future of industry. They are recruiting professionals in UX Design, Product Management, Data Science, Software Development and much more. They will join thousands of United Technologies colleagues from around the world.
Be a Better United Technologies Digital Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at United Technologies Digital when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about United Technologies Digital? Visit United Technologies Digital's website.
Jobs You May Like
Prolific Interactive, Brooklyn, NY
Software Engineer - Discovery/ML Platforms
Twitch, San Francisco, CA
Zoox, Foster City, CA
Associate Digital Designer
Red Ventures, Charlotte, NC
Director, Design Research
Dropbox, San Francisco, CA
Wizeline, Guadalajara, Mexico