Principal Electrical Engineer – R&D
Velodyne is growing exponentially, and our goal is to enable LiDAR sensor technology to bring self-driving cars and other autonomous machine applications to market by 2020. Velodyne is gearing up for mass production now! We are seeking high integrity, self-motivated, high energy learners, out of the box thinkers, and insight seekers with electrical and embedded systems engineering domain expertise to revolutionize the transportation and autonomous machine industry.
As a Principal Electrical Engineer – R&D at Velodyne LiDAR San Jose you will take responsibility and accountability for the electrical subsystem and system design for the core of the highest performance LiDAR sensor available today. In this role you will own hands-on electrical board development and verification of performance for the sensor, lead the process of release and verification planning with the cross-functional team. You will work within a highly cross-functional hardware and firmware team and collaborate closely with Research and Development Engineers, Advanced Supplier Development Engineers, Technical Product Owners, and Mechanical, and Optical Engineers. You will work directly with Product Management and Field Applications to gain clear understanding of customer issues and deliver solutions to improve performance of Velodyne sensors. In this role you will work as part of a joint project team to transfer designs from R&D to Product Engineering, make design enhancements (DfX), prototype, verify the design for performance and reliability and transfer to manufacturing for production. As a Principal Electrical Engineer on the Product Engineering Team, you will be responsible for the design and validation of analog and digital subsystems within sustaining and new product. You will own/drive schematics, layout, design, and specifications of key subsystems including FPGA/ADC/SOC/ASIC integration, flexible PCBAs, and power/motor/laser/APD circuits.
- Acquire MRD and PRDs. Perform customer requirements analysis. Perform DfX and FMEA analysis.
- Collaborate with R&D Engineers to establish the Hardware Functional Specification
- Responsible for the design, verification and validation of analog and digital subsystems within the sustaining and new products
- Own the schematics, layout, design, and specifications of key subsystems including FPGA/ADC/SOC/ASIC integration, PCBAs, and power/motor/laser/APD circuits
- Capture design requirements spanning power delivery and management, signal integrity, opto-electrical performance, design integration of opto-mechanical-electrical domains.
- Lead in architecture, solution design, and design enhancement projects for next generation variants to existing products
- Leverage strong engineering fundamentals to articulate design trade-offs and use first principles to distill complex problems into key questions
- Integrate off-the-shelf and custom components by understanding power, interfaces, and sequencing requirements
- Validate circuits and electrical subsystems with that connects failure mode to hypothesis to root cause and corrective actions
- Differentiate mandatory requirements from nice-to-haves, and articulate collaboratively design trade-offs to a cross-functional team of Optical, Mechanical, Thermal, Firmware and Validation engineers
- Design schematics and drive layout for PCBAs (Cadence or other tools). Perform schematic capture and verify PCB layout view/error check
- Define and implement design test and verification methodologies to ensure design meets hardware specification
- Lead in hardware design review, development, verification, troubleshooting, and delivery of high-quality hardware platform
- Work with firmware engineers and technical product owners to bring-up hardware/firmware
- Provide technical support for production line, and FA/RMA as escalation path
- Advise process engineers with work instructions for subsystem and system test in IQC, sub-factory and production line
- Guide product line and layout preparation with the manufacturing process engineer
- Support any quality and performance related issues arise and provide timely resolutions
- Ensure component selection and second source/replacement qualification to meet auto-grade. Identify alternative components to ensure AEC-Q (automotive) compliance.
- Decompose complex issues and collaborate with cross-functional teams to resolve issues in a timely manner. Operate in environment with imperfect data to drive next steps.
- Possess ability to collaboratively evangelize a technical point-of-view with peers and C-staff
- Prototype development for next generation variants to existing products
- Assist with agency compliance testing and define test subsystem and system test requirements for Product Test Group
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Physics or equivalent
- 10+ hands-on experience designing electronic systems as a system integrator or a product engineer
- Experienced and understanding of electrical engineering fundamentals and speak candidly about design trade-offs
- Experience designing boards with FPGA/ADC/SOC/ASIC integration, and knowledge of EMI, signal integrity, and power
- Flexible and Rigid-Flexible PCB design experienced a plus
- Knowledge of standard interfaces on SOCs (USB, SPI, I2C, PCIe, MIPI, etc.)
- Knowledge of high-volume automotive electronics design and manufacturing
- Basic knowledge of C/C++ or experience in scripting languages a plus (Python)
- Experience with JMP and HDL
- Able to communicate technically and non-technically with stakeholders
- Understand mechanical drawings
- Ability to work both individually or and collaborate with cross-functional team
- Experience and deep knowledge of automotive functional safety requirements (ISO26262) and automotive quality systems (IATF-16949)
About us Founded in 1983 and based in Silicon Valley, Velodyne LiDAR, Inc. is a technology company known worldwide for its real-time LiDAR sensors. The company evolved after founder/inventor David Hall developed the HDL-64 Solid-State Hybrid LiDAR sensor in 2005. Since then, Velodyne LiDAR has emerged as the leading developer, manufacturer, and supplier of 3D real-time perception systems used in a variety of commercial applications including autonomous vehicles, vehicle safety systems, 3D mobile mapping, 3D aerial mapping, and security
Want to learn more about Velodyne? Visit Velodyne's website.
Jobs You May Like
Snap Inc., London, UK
Sentinel Product Engineer
HashiCorp, Remote US/Canada/Australia
Software Engineer (Java) (m/f) | Warsaw
Kreditech, Warsaw Office
Top Hat, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Insider, Istanbul, Turkey
IT Manager, Supply Chain
Indigo, Memphis, TN