Sr. Component Technology Engineer
Since 2007, Velodyne’s LiDAR Inc. has emerged as the leading developer, manufacturer and supplier of real-time LiDAR sensor technology used in a variety of applications including autonomous vehicles, vehicle safety systems, 3D mobile mapping, 3D aerial mapping, security and defense. We are growing exponentially, and our goal is to enable LiDAR sensor technology to bring self-driving cars and other autonomous machine applications to market by 2020. Velodyne is gearing up for mass production now! We are seeking high integrity, self-motivated, high energy learners, out of the box thinkers, and insight seekers with electronic component, Printed Circuit Board (PCB), Printed Circuit Board Assembly (PCBA), Surface Mount Technology (SMT), Post SMT and Chip on Board (CoB) product and process domain expertise to revolutionize the transportation and autonomous machine industry.
The Sr. Component Technology Engineer will act as the primary liaison between Velodyne’s R&D, Product Engineering, Manufacturing, and Suppliers of Components, PCBs, Electronic Manufacturing Services (EMS) providers to develop, manufacture and introduce new products. The candidate must possess excellent technical, IP, process development, yield management, PCB and PCBA system design knowledge, manage design trade-offs and be versed in hardware design, manufacturing processes test methodologies. Responsibilities will include architecture, specification and design reviews, drive process development and automotive grade qualifications, lead DFX, DFMEA and PFMEA activities, and ensure supplier manufacturing readiness. The Sr. Component Technology Engineer must excel in interpersonal communication, teamwork, conflict resolution, relationship development and cross-functional management skills. This candidate is a technical leader who communicates with C-level executives and develops Suppliers to deliver products with six sigma and automotive grade quality and reliability.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary role of this position is to enable component and microelectronic assembly quality at the source through process development, implementation of appropriate technical solutions, and deployment of inspection specification. Drive the collection and analysis of process data to enable quality and reliability for all sourced components, PCB and PCBA through the product life cycle. The roles and responsibilities are:
- Capture Marketing product requirements and R&D hardware and software specifications.
- Define, Author, and Maintain Velodyne’s Component and Sub-Assembly technology and quality requirements document.
- Lead Value Engineering team to reduce cost. Identify and drive DFX (DFM, DFT, DFQ and DFC)
- Assess, validate and de-risk Supplier component and/or sub-assembly quality risks to ensure on-time NPI launch and production quality and reliability.
- Define best-in-class processes to meet all design, process and operational requirements.
- Work with suppliers to develop technology and process capabilities for components and PCB/As.
- Manage first article builds to achieve 6 sigma qualities and resolve EMS build challenges.
- Align with R&D and Product Engineering to source and manage supply chain risks.
- Assess, select, qualify and develop new or alternate suppliers. Develop AVL, Preferred Suppliers, and drive Suppliers needing improvement.
- Lead 8-D with stakeholders to drive for resolutions.
- Provide leadership at Velodyne and Suppliers’ sites during development and product ramp
- Use data analysis, DOEs, SPC, tools to collect data to drive process decisions.
- Perform BOM scrubs, review component line items for accuracy, optimize component selection. Ensure selection meets regulatory compliance, functional safety and automotive quality.
- Evaluate MRB and drive technical resolution and disposition.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- BS or MS (preferred) in Electrical Engineering, related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ year in electrical hardware engineering capacity.
- Experience with electronics, optical module and/or communication design, and PCB/PCBA.
- Experience in Product Engineering, Electronic Hardware Designs, Manufacturing and Tests
- Exposure to SMT, Post SMT, micro-electronic assemblies and rework processes.
- Experience with component footprint design rules and miniaturization.
- Experience with Hardware Quality and Reliability Testing.
- Experience with Valor and Allegro. Fluent in Schematic Capture and FPGA programming
- Knowledge of PCB and PCBA and product level failure modes and capability to relate failure modes to process, material and design related issues.
- Exposure to NPI, Supplier Management, Optical and Electrical Assemblies, Manufacturing, Assembly, and/or Test Development.
- Delivers clear, concise, professional verbal and written communication and executive summary.
- Responsive, flexible, execution focused and resilient with a sense of urgency.
- Manage special projects and programs and work under tight deadlines to deliver results.
- Demonstrates intellect, passion and integrity to succeed in unstructured environment.
LOCATION & TRAVEL
This role is based San Jose, CA. This role requires ~30% travel.
About us Founded in 1983 and based in Silicon Valley, Velodyne LiDAR, Inc. is a technology company known worldwide for its real-time LiDAR sensors. The company evolved after founder/inventor David Hall developed the HDL-64 Solid-State Hybrid LiDAR sensor in 2005. Since then, Velodyne LiDAR has emerged as the leading developer, manufacturer, and supplier of 3D real-time perception systems used in a variety of commercial applications including autonomous vehicles, vehicle safety systems, 3D mobile mapping, 3D aerial mapping, and security