Since 2007, Velodyne’s LiDAR Inc. has emerged as the leading developer, manufacturer and supplier of real-time LiDAR sensor technology used in a variety of applications including autonomous vehicles, vehicle safety systems, 3D mobile mapping, 3D aerial mapping, security and defense. We are growing exponentially, and our goal is to enable LiDAR sensor technology to bring self-driving cars and other autonomous machine applications to market by 2020. Velodyne is gearing up for very high volume (VHV) mass production now! We are seeking high integrity, self-motivated, high energy learners, out of the box thinkers, and insight seekers with Electro-Mechanical Engineering and test development domain expertise and experience to revolutionize the transportation and autonomous machine industry.
The Product Engineer (PE) will be Technical Product Owner (TPO) throughout Product Lifecycle from the transfer from R&D to NPI, and then from NPI to Sustaining. He/She will lead the Engineering Design Changes/Product Features (Electrical, Mechanicals, Opto-Mechanical & Firmware) that will improve the LiDARs Sensors Performance, Quality, and Reliability. The Sr. PE will collaborate and leverage Product Engineering (HW/SW), Supplier Development, Product Test, Process Engineering, Advanced Mfg Test/Automation, Product Data Management, and Manufacturing Engineering partners to drive Product Design Improvements for all faucets of DFx, and triage defects from factory and/or customer failures.
This TPO must possess excellent technical, IP, process development, yield management and electro-opto-mechanical system design knowledge, lead design trade-offs and be versed in manufacturing processes and component/system level test methodologies. Responsibilities will include architecture, specification and design reviews, drive process development and automotive grade qualifications, lead DFMEA and PFMEA activities, and ensure manufacturing readiness. The candidate must excel in interpersonal communication, teamwork, conflict resolution, relationship development and cross-functional management skills. This candidate is a technical leader who communicates with C-level executives and builds collaborative relationships with internal customers and stakeholders. He/She will require minimal guidance and leverage their design engineering capabilities to drive product innovation, improvement manufacturability, and value engineering initiatives. The TPO will create and prioritize engineering projects/DOEs with that will be in alignment with his/her direct manager’s objectives, and VLI Executive Management Directives.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary role of this position “review/approve all Engineering Changes” through product life cycle in NPI & Sustaining—review/approve product test coverage, ensure the necessary factory data is captured throughout the factory’s manufacturing processes to enable quality and traceability of Product Performance and features. The PE is a cross-functional Subject Matter Expert (SME) with prior product design/development experience to support Velodyne’s innovation and product realization. The PE will:
- Develop and lead the Product’s Technology Roadmap across all engineering disciplines (Electrical, Mechanical, Opto-Mechanical, & Firmware).
- Control, manage, and approve all changes (ECOs, MCOs, DEVs) to Product before releasing to NPI/Sustaining Builds including special Engineering Builds/DOEs (Data-Driven Decisions).
- Partners with Supplier Development Engineering Team to align supplier roadmap technology offerings for Product Improvements and Value Engineering Initiatives.
- Defines, coordinates, and drives DFx activities enable VHV manufacturing with Product Engineering, Process Engineering, Component/Product Manufacturing Test, Product Test
- Measure and analyze 1st & 2nd Past Yield metrics to identify trending defects, and/or performances issues.
- Mitigate and prioritize potential technical and manufacturing risks
- Leads NPI and Sustaining Product Readiness Reviews(PRRs) for NPI and Sustaining Starts
- Supports engineering, procurement, and supplier quality organizations with continual product and process improvement initiatives
- Interfaces with the VLI Internal Key Stakeholders to drive cost effective manufacturing process improvements, and minimize waste
- Captures the R&D’s product requirements and specifications for new products. Partner with Supplier Development Engineering to identify sources that can deliver the cross-functional Velodyne standards.
- Assesses, recommends, develops and qualifies new or alternate suppliers to optimize quality and supply chain risk and costs with R&D, NPI and Sustaining Engineering teams
- Leads component failure analysis, containment, corrective actions and preventative action implementation. Interface with Key Internal Stakeholders to expeditiously resolve complex technical problems impacting Factory Yield
- Defines, Authors, and Maintains Velodyne’s Product Technology’s Performance and Quality requirements document.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- BS or MS Degree in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering discipline
- 3+ year experience in Engineering capacity
- Knowledgeable with AutoCAD, C/C++, or Verilog
- Exposure to NPI, Supplier Management, Electrical and Mechanical Product Engineering, Manufacturing, Assembly, and/or Test Development
- Proven experience in working with EMS in PCBA manufacturing, and electro-mechanical assembly processes, process test and functional test development
- Electro-Mechanical systems Architecture, Design, Fabrication Process, Manufacturing Assembly, Test, Failure Mode Analysis, Quality, and Reliability knowledge
- DMAIC/6 Sigma certification highly desirable. Statistical process control and data analysis driven
- Regularly interacts with Sr. Management or C-Level on matters concerning several functional areas; including Products, Technology, and/or Customers
- Delivers clear, concise, professional verbal and written communication and executive summary
- Responsive, flexible, execution focused and resilient with a sense of urgency
- Manage programs, working under pressure and deliver to tight deadlines
- Establish leadership identity within Advanced Supply Chain Management and its partners
- Supports R&D and NPI program milestones through proactive Supplier Management
- Demonstrates intellect, passion and integrity to succeed in unstructured environment
- Possesses problem-solving skill using 8-D methodology
- Domain expertise in automotive component qualification and certification
LOCATION & TRAVEL
This role is based San Jose, CA. This role requires ~20% travel.
About us Founded in 1983 and based in Silicon Valley, Velodyne LiDAR, Inc. is a technology company known worldwide for its real-time LiDAR sensors. The company evolved after founder/inventor David Hall developed the HDL-64 Solid-State Hybrid LiDAR sensor in 2005. Since then, Velodyne LiDAR has emerged as the leading developer, manufacturer, and supplier of 3D real-time perception systems used in a variety of commercial applications including autonomous vehicles, vehicle safety systems, 3D mobile mapping, 3D aerial mapping, and security