As Opto-Mechanical Engineer you will be responsible for opto-mechanical design and assembly process development of automotive grade, novel lidar technologies that will enable Velodyne Lidar systems to continue to lead in the autonomous vehicle, advanced driver assistance systems, mapping and industrial markets. You will be technical leader for existing and next generation product design and NPI line. Your role is also to reduce cost of customized, precision optical assemblies and support Velodyne with ramping to high volume production, leveraging scalable automated equipment.
You must have a track record of bringing customized opto-electronic packaging designs from concept to automated high-volume production. Hands on experience with precision opto-electronics and mechanical design are paramount.
- Technical leadership to develop designs of reliable, next generation (micro) optical packages that are scalable, cost effective and manufacturable.
- Develop assembly processes and tooling for manual and automated assembly.
- Technical leadership for NPI line with manual and automated assembly equipment.
- Build prototypes and optimize existing processes and methods.
- Root cause analysis and product / process improvement.
- Works with other members of the engineering and operations staff to ensure that products are developed to meet all performance and quality standards in a timely matter.
- Take a leading role in the transition from R&D to production and continued support of production throughout the volume ramp and beyond.
- Maintain detailed BoMs and BoM cost.
- Work closely with vendors on negotiating specs and meeting cost requirements.
- +7 years professional experience is preferred.
- Experience in design, development and manufacturing of reliable, high tolerance, complex opto-mechanical products which achieve medium to high volume levels.
- Knowledge and experience developing a product incorporating design for manufacturability (DFM) is highly desirable.
- Experience with some or all of the following: Micron level tolerances, FEA, methods of mounting optical and electro-optical components (laser, lens, photo diodes), optical alignment and assembly fixture design.
- Experience with manual/automated production and alignment equipment like die bonder, wire bonder, fiber align stations.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Expert level in SolidWorks or an equivalent mechanical design software package.
- High tech experience and must be comfortable within a fast-paced, startup environment.
- Ability to interpret analysis and test results.
- Successful track record accomplishing desired results.
- Self-driven, effective, hard worker with a team player “can-do” approach.
- Automotive and/or transceiver experience is a plus.
- Occasional travel to Europe and Asia
- BS or MS in ME, Physics or similar field.
About us Founded in 1983 and based in Silicon Valley, Velodyne LiDAR, Inc. is a technology company known worldwide for its real-time LiDAR sensors. The company evolved after founder/inventor David Hall developed the HDL-64 Solid-State Hybrid LiDAR sensor in 2005. Since then, Velodyne LiDAR has emerged as the leading developer, manufacturer, and supplier of 3D real-time perception systems used in a variety of commercial applications including autonomous vehicles, vehicle safety systems, 3D mobile mapping, 3D aerial mapping, and security
Want to learn more about Velodyne? Visit Velodyne's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
Jobs You May Like
Cloud Technology Partners
Business Analyst - (Modeling / ROI) Work Remote
Cloud Technology Partners, Live Anywhere