Risk Decision Scientist (San Jose)
Venmo, San Jose, CA
Simple and fun way to send and receive money between friends
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Risk Decision Scientist at Venmo
Decision Scientists are on the front line of identifying and targeting fraud to keep our millions of users secure and engaged. Risk Decision Scientists apply their analytical and technical skills into researching data, monitoring and creating logics that stop fraudulent activity on Venmo’s platform. They analyze existing loss trends and define logics, solutions and operational processes that prevent them - while delivering best-in-class customer experience for Venmo users.
Risk Decision Scientists work closely with one another, with Venmo Risk Operations and with Venmo’s Customer Support, in order to keep learning about current fraud. They also partner closely with the Venmo Product teams to define features and integrate risk prevention tools to support business goals. As Venmo is a subsidiary of PayPal, this role also involves working closely with PayPal Risk teams to align on fraud-prevention methodologies and tools.
Our team members are excited about solving analytical problems. They are bright, they are responsible, and they know how to follow through. If you’re also like that, we’d love to hear from you.
What You’ll Do
- Developing expertise in specific areas by leading analytical projects independently, while setting goals, providing benefit estimations, defining workflows and coordinating timelines in advance.
- Fight fraudulent activity in one’s domain of ownership by analyzing existing loss trends through review of specific cases, research on our payments database and incorporation of feedback from operations teams.
- Produce accurate, automated risk solutions and manual handling policies to block fraudulent activities by declining payments, adding accounts to the fraud review queue or restricting suspicious users.
- Work closely with product teams on development of new products to identify potential gaps that might create loss, and define requirements to mitigate those risks.
- Have a good understanding of general business trends and directions to be able to put own work in the broad business context.
- Work with various partners within Venmo and PayPal to coordinate the execution of fraud mitigation solutions.
- Demonstrate flexibility that is needed to succeed within a matrix organization while being proactive and comfortable with working alongside stakeholders from different domains.
- Develop controls and monitoring dashboards to ensure performance against business goal, regulatory requirements and business priorities.
- Remain up-to-date on industry information, federal regulations and new products, while continuously learning from peers across the organization about fraud and fraud-prevention tools..
- Be data-driven and outcome-focused
What We’re Looking For
- BS/BA or MA degree in a related field required
- 2 years of professional experience in solving problems using data-driven approach
- High proficiency in fundamental SQL. Other technical skills are a plus (Java/C/C++; Perl/Python; strong UNIX background; Hadoop; R )
- Strong organizational skills and excellent follow-through
- Outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- High emotional intelligence, a can-do mentality and a creative approach to problem solving
- Experience with working in a technology environment
- Experience with program management and process mapping is a plus
- Willingness to travel up to a week every 3 months
Venmo was founded in 2009 by two former college roommates who wanted a better way to pay each other back. What started off as a simple SMS platform to send and receive money has evolved into a social payments app allowing people to split bills, pay each other back for rent, and make purchases at approved merchants - all the while making these life stories more fun and less awkward. Venmo is owned by PayPal.
At Venmo, we're working to build a payment experience that's simple, delightful, and connected. Fueled by an abundance of snacks, locally sourced cold brew, and each other, our team solves exciting new challenges every day. Venmo's mission is to change people's relationships with money and each other. And it's working - people love using Venmo but we're not done yet. We want the magic of sending money with Venmo to be in every place you use it. There's still much more to do!
Want to learn more about Venmo? Visit Venmo's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Business Systems Analyst, Finance
Looker, Santa Cruz
Business & Systems Analyst Lead (Operations)
Wikimedia, San Francisco, CA
Corporate Legal Ninja
Palantir Technologies, Palo Alto, CA
EnerNOC, US - Boston, MA
Blue Star Sports
Billing, Pricing, and Collections Analyst
Blue Star Sports, Plano, TX
Senior Legal Counsel, Insurance (LATAM)
Airbnb, Miami, FL