Technical Lead, Platform as a Service
Venmo, Newton, MA
Simple and fun way to send and receive money between friends
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
As an Engineer on the Platform as a Service team at Venmo, you are a thoughtful and collaborative technologist who loves to build maintainable, scalable, and reliable platform services. In this role, you’ll ensure standardization and stability of our platform, empowering Venmo’s product engineering teams to rapidly innovate on amazing new features.
The ideal candidate will be a backend developer with strong experience writing Python services on Kubernetes, using MySQL and other NoSQL databases. As a PaaS Engineer at Venmo, you will be responsible for making engineering design decisions and developing features pertaining to the services that are the backbone of Venmo. You will be expected to be a role model on coding standards, frameworks, platforms and other best practices for the rest of Venmo’s engineering team.
What You’ll Do
- Design and implement new services using cutting edge technologies to support Venmo achieving its business goals.
- Collaborate with the architecture team to develop robust, portable, and interoperable solutions to the difficult problems faced by a growing organization.
- Collaborate with the Information Security team to keep Venmo, and its customers, safe from emerging security threats.
- Take an active role in reducing the technical debt in our various codebases.
- Triage, debug, and assure the timely resolution of software defects.
What We’re Looking For
- You have 5+ years of industry experience.
- You exhibit excitement and readiness to work in a collaborative environment.
- You seek the opportunity to accept and give constructive criticism and to brainstorm with team members.
- You bring attention to detail and thoroughness, including documentation and testing.
- You have experience maintaining end-to-end availability and performance of critical services.
- You understand the tools at your disposal and can determine when a new tool is appropriate for the task at hand.
How to Really Get Our Attention
- You have experience with production services in public clouds, containers, and kubernetes.
- You have experience with developing distributed services using technologies success as gRPC, Finagle, Thrift, or similar.
- You have experience with database technologies such as MySQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, or similar.
- You have experience analyzing and remediating performance issues in distributed applications.
Venmo was founded in 2009 by two former college roommates who wanted a better way to pay each other back. What started off as a simple SMS platform to send and receive money has evolved into a social payments app allowing people to split bills, pay each other back for rent, and make purchases at approved merchants - all the while making these life stories more fun and less awkward. Venmo is owned by PayPal.
At Venmo, we're working to build a payment experience that's simple, delightful, and connected. Fueled by an abundance of snacks, locally sourced cold brew, and each other, our team solves exciting new challenges every day. Venmo's mission is to change people's relationships with money and each other. And it's working - people love using Venmo but we're not done yet. We want the magic of sending money with Venmo to be in every place you use it. There's still much more to do!