Senior Frontend Engineer, Web (New York)
Venmo, New York, NY
Simple and fun way to send and receive money between friends
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
Engineering at Venmo
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing.
The Engineering Team at Venmo is a tightly-knit group of contributors, service owners, architects, managers, and operations. We spend our days scaling our platform and building features that are data-driven and human-centered. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Senior Frontend Software Engineer
The Web team is responsible for our Venmo.com experiences and webviews used in our mobile applications. Our products are used by millions of users every day and must operate at a scale that meets our hockey-stick user growth and rapid portfolio expansion. We are seeking customer-focused frontend engineers who will work closely with our product and design partners to build, user-test, and iterate new features in our web platforms. We are a new small team that values ego-free code reviews, code quality, staying intellectually curious and always searching for better ways to get things done.
As a Senior Frontend Software Engineer, you will assist us in creating delightful user experiences for our customers. You will be responsible for making engineering design decisions and building innovative, human-centered, high-throughput web applications. You should be equally comfortable starting from scratch as well as diving into an existing project to make it better. You will also be expected to be a role model on coding standards, tools, platforms and other best practices for the web team.
Things you’ll do:
- Design and development of frontend features and components for Venmo.com and webviews used in mobile experiences
- Develop frontend architecture and influence implementation that is aligned with business objectives
- Iterate with our UX and Product teams in an agile environment to bring features from conception to launch
- Collaborate with Platform, Infrastructure and InfoSec teams to ensure web apps operate at scale and meet security requirements
- Write clean, high-quality code and tests while keeping the user experience fast and reliable
- Reduce the level of technical debt of the web codebase
- Build the optimal design and model for the UI that incorporates responsive design and accessibility concerns
- Help triage bugs, track software defects, and ensure their timely resolution
- Lead and participate in development life cycle activities like design, coding, testing and production release
- Define and steward technical standards and code quality
- Conduct peer code reviews for pull requests
- Provide mentorship to fellow Web engineers
What we are looking for:
- 3+ years of experience building single page applications with popular JS frameworks and libraries (React, Angular, Ember, Babel, Webpack, Underscore, etc.).
- Experience with test automation: TDD, unit/integration/functional testing.
- Experience with HTML5, CSS3, Sass, Bootstrap, and cross-browser and device development.
- Have a passion for quality and writing clean, solid, readable code that scales and performs well. Strong desire to learn, think creatively, and share knowledge with others.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
Venmo was founded in 2009 by two former college roommates who wanted a better way to pay each other back. What started off as a simple SMS platform to send and receive money has evolved into a social payments app allowing people to split bills, pay each other back for rent, and make purchases at approved merchants - all the while making these life stories more fun and less awkward. Venmo is owned by PayPal.
At Venmo, we're working to build a payment experience that's simple, delightful, and connected. Fueled by an abundance of snacks, locally sourced cold brew, and each other, our team solves exciting new challenges every day. Venmo's mission is to change people's relationships with money and each other. And it's working - people love using Venmo but we're not done yet. We want the magic of sending money with Venmo to be in every place you use it. There's still much more to do!