Venmo, San Jose, New York City
Simple and fun way to send and receive money between friends
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our payment backend services and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical best. We work to push our technology forward with respect to functionality, performance, reliability and scalability.
Engineering Manager in Risk
As the Risk Engineering Manager at Venmo, your team is responsible for implementing product solutions that help fight financial fraud, tackle chargebacks & disputes handling in the world of connected payments. Venmo fraud product solutions supports screening payment transactions of 27.4 million monthly active users and estimated to have a transaction volume of 100 billion dollars in 2019. We have a YoY growth rate of 70%. Given all these fun challenges, we are a fast-paced organization going through rapid growth and solving technical challenges at exponential scale. As an organization, we have a strong culture of committing to goals and delivering on timelines.
We are looking for high performing Engineering Managers with the highest levels of technical talent, Technical design skills, programming skills, people management skills and keen desire to deeply understand our product.
Things You'll Do
- Taking ownership of the team technical roadmap and set the unified team roadmap with product and deliver on the roadmap
- Manage and support risk backend engineering team
- Coach, train and grow the team to deliver on relevant product features while helping them improve their skill sets. Be actively involved in the individual team members growth and provide specific feedback and coaching as and when needed
- Ensure the timely delivery of engineering initiatives while continually raising the bar
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team that helps each other with a willingness to learn and teach each other with the team and across Venmo
- Work collaboratively with Architecture, Product, and Engineering teams to develop and deliver products that are scalable and reliable
- Establish engineering best practices
- Mitigate technical debt on the software platform
- Staying up-to-date on industry trends and introducing them to the team where applicable.
- Recognizes system deficiencies and propose / implement effective solutions.
What We're Looking For
- 8-10+ years’ experience in Enterprise software application development
- Experience building and running in production (24x7 environments) distributed large-scale backend systems
- Experience hiring, mentoring, coaching and developing top engineering talent
- Ability to lead and manage a high performing team of software engineers.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- Ability to provide honest, direct and actionable feedback to the team and follow up with relevant coaching and guidance
How to Really Get Our Attention
- Experience in payments processing or payments domain
- Experience in risk domain
- Mastery in enterprise systems integration.
Venmo was founded in 2009 by two former college roommates who wanted a better way to pay each other back. What started off as a simple SMS platform to send and receive money has evolved into a social payments app allowing people to split bills, pay each other back for rent, and make purchases at approved merchants - all the while making these life stories more fun and less awkward. Venmo is owned by PayPal.
At Venmo, we're working to build a payment experience that's simple, delightful, and connected. Fueled by an abundance of snacks, locally sourced cold brew, and each other, our team solves exciting new challenges every day. Venmo's mission is to change people's relationships with money and each other. And it's working - people love using Venmo but we're not done yet. We want the magic of sending money with Venmo to be in every place you use it. There's still much more to do!
Want to learn more about Venmo? Visit Venmo's website.
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life