Senior Database Operation Engineer, Database Systems
Venmo, San Francisco, CA
Simple and fun way to send and receive money between friends
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Senior Database Operation Engineer
As a Senior Database Operation Engineer at Venmo you’ll be responsible for the data platform infrastructure that Venmo uses. You’re the type of person that dreams about articulating infrastructure as code to deliver awesome, automated environments. You love data, metrics and iterative improvements and have a passion for building resilient, reliable and scalable database, web and API infrastructure.
What You’ll Do
- Designing, guiding teams and working hands-on to build reliable, scalable, and observable distributed systems in the Data Platforms and Infrastructure space.
- Scaling our architecture to support heavy growth while keeping the Venmo service fast and reliable.
- Lead efforts to expand our infrastructure and systems across multiple sites.
- Implement monitoring and alerting tools that can keep track of both system-level and business-level performance.
- Expanding our configuration and container management infrastructure to enable rapid deployment of new services.
- Working with security engineering to perform security audits and proactively make recommendations/improvements to keep Venmo secure.
- Contributing improvements back to the open source projects we use.
What We’re Looking For
- Experience managing/monitoring large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience with data streaming systems, such as Kafka
- Fluent in one or more high-level programming language
- Comfortable working in a continuous deployment environment
- Have delivered scalable infrastructure using automation tools such as Puppet, Ansible or Vagrant
- Deep understanding of networking in public cloud environments
- Extensive experience designing and building systems with Docker containers and Kubernetes
- Built automated, scalable solutions with AWS using CloudFormation or Terraform
- Experienced with both relational and non-relational databases such as MySQL, MongoDB and Cassandra
- Able to build and deploy EC2 instances for MongoDB and Cassandra
- Proficiency with monitoring and metrics collection tools such as ELK, Graphite, Sensu, or Prometheus
- Bonus points for Python/Django, node.js, and Nginx
- Experience with the following tools:
- Aurora (or MySql)
- DataStax(or Cassandra)
- AWS components including cloud formation, Kubernetes, Puppet
- Monitoring tools like Data Dog, Sumo, New Relic,etc.
Venmo was founded in 2009 by two former college roommates who wanted a better way to pay each other back. What started off as a simple SMS platform to send and receive money has evolved into a social payments app allowing people to split bills, pay each other back for rent, and make purchases at approved merchants - all the while making these life stories more fun and less awkward. Venmo is owned by PayPal.
At Venmo, we're working to build a payment experience that's simple, delightful, and connected. Fueled by an abundance of snacks, locally sourced cold brew, and each other, our team solves exciting new challenges every day. Venmo's mission is to change people's relationships with money and each other. And it's working - people love using Venmo but we're not done yet. We want the magic of sending money with Venmo to be in every place you use it. There's still much more to do!