Senior/Staff Software Engineer, Search Infrastructure
Venmo, San Francisco, CA
Simple and fun way to send and receive money between friends
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
As a Senior/Staff Software Engineer in Search Infrastructure at Venmo, you have the opportunity to lead the optimization or even re-design of Venmo’s user search and/or other search features.
What You’ll Do
- Design, implement and maintain our search infrastructure component/services such as indexing, query processing, and result ranking.
- Improve the relevance of search results
- Enhance the scalability, reliability, as well as resource efficiency of the entire search infrastructure.
- Stewarding technical standards and quality
- Interface with the product and other functional teams and their leadership
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelors and/or Masters in computer science OR related field of study
- 5+ years of experience in software development or a related field
- At least 2 years of hands-on experience with Information Retrieval/Search
- Expertise with Elasticsearch/Solr/Lucene or any other search engine
- Proficiency with the big data processing platform: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Flink, etc
- Proficiency with one object-oriented/object function scripting language: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
Venmo was founded in 2009 by two former college roommates who wanted a better way to pay each other back. What started off as a simple SMS platform to send and receive money has evolved into a social payments app allowing people to split bills, pay each other back for rent, and make purchases at approved merchants - all the while making these life stories more fun and less awkward. Venmo is owned by PayPal.
At Venmo, we're working to build a payment experience that's simple, delightful, and connected. Fueled by an abundance of snacks, locally sourced cold brew, and each other, our team solves exciting new challenges every day. Venmo's mission is to change people's relationships with money and each other. And it's working - people love using Venmo but we're not done yet. We want the magic of sending money with Venmo to be in every place you use it. There's still much more to do!