Senior Software Engineer, Risk (San Jose)
Venmo, San Jose, CA
Simple and fun way to send and receive money between friends
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our payment backend services and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical best. We work to push our technology forward with respect to functionality, performance, reliability and scalability.
Risk Senior Software Engineer
As a Senior Software Engineer for Venmo Risk Engineering you will be involved in the design and development of product solutions that help fight financial fraud, tackle chargebacks & disputes handling in the world of connected payments. Venmo fraud product solutions supports screening payment transactions of 27.4 million monthly active users and had a transaction volume of 100 billion dollars in 2019. We have a YoY growth rate of 70%. Given all these fun challenges, we are a fast-paced organization going through rapid growth and solving technical challenges at exponential scale. As an organization, we have a strong culture of committing to goals and delivering on timelines.
We are looking for technologists with the highest levels of technical talent, programming skills, attention to performance and scalability, communication skills and a keen desire to deeply understand our product.
What You'll Do
- Design, estimate and implement new and refactored software services on the platform securely, reliably and at scale. Take ownership for quality of design and implementation of software components
- Deliver high quality code on time and follow our SDLC process
- Work with Tech-leads / Architects to validate designs
- Have an appetite to learn and contribute to complex projects alongside your colleagues
- Interact with various non-engineering teams such as product, SRE, risk analysts and senior leadership
- Participate in code reviews
- Follow engineering best practices
What We're Looking For
- 4+ yrs experience in all phases of enterprise software design, development and testing
- 4+ yrs experience Java, Python or equivalent high level programming language
- 2+ yrs experience with RDBMS and NoSQL data stores , caching solutions (e.g. Redis, ElastiCache) and messaging/queuing protocols/systems such as Kafka/AMQP/RabbitMQ
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- Being collaborative, willingness to learn and also share/teach the team
What Will Really Get Our Attention
- Experience in payments processing or payments domain
- Experience in risk or compliance domains
- Experience integrating disparate systems together
- Django and/or Celery experience
Venmo was founded in 2009 by two former college roommates who wanted a better way to pay each other back. What started off as a simple SMS platform to send and receive money has evolved into a social payments app allowing people to split bills, pay each other back for rent, and make purchases at approved merchants - all the while making these life stories more fun and less awkward. Venmo is owned by PayPal.
At Venmo, we're working to build a payment experience that's simple, delightful, and connected. Fueled by an abundance of snacks, locally sourced cold brew, and each other, our team solves exciting new challenges every day. Venmo's mission is to change people's relationships with money and each other. And it's working - people love using Venmo but we're not done yet. We want the magic of sending money with Venmo to be in every place you use it. There's still much more to do!
Want to learn more about Venmo? Visit Venmo's website.
64 Active Jobs
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.