Staff Software Engineer, Machine Learning
Venmo, Chicago IL, Scottsdale AZ
Simple and fun way to send and receive money between friends
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. Let’s figure it out together!
Product Intelligence team
Imagine what you could do here. Venmo is the fastest growing peer-to-peer financial brand and keeps innovating in the tech industry. We as the Venmo Product Intelligence (a.k.a Applied Science) team are looking for the talented Staff Software Engineer – Machine Learning to join us and creatively build our next generation of data products and high-velocity AI services. We derive valuable insights from our extensive, rich and rapidly growing datasets in order to improve the daily experience of our customers. This role is critical to the engineering team and will be deeply embedded within multi-disciplinary teams across the company.
You will join a team that interacts with Data Scientists and Data Engineers to turn Machine Learning models into algorithm-driven services. You will have the opportunity to take full ownership of the design and implementation of highly reliable, scalable and high-performance services. You will drive the adoption of appropriate technologies for the business, lead the way for continuous innovation and shape the future of e-commerce.
- 5+ years of industry experience in building machine learning applications.
- Experience in building large-scale machine learning infrastructure for online recommendation, ads ranking, personalization, search, NLP, etc.
- Experience with Big Data and distributed technologies such as Spark, EMR, Kafka.
- Practical experience in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm designs, run-time analysis and code quality verification.
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as Python (preferred), Scala, Java, Go.
- Preferred to have operational experience of AWS.
- Preferred to have knowledge of machine learning, data mining, information retrieval, statistics or natural language processing.
- Passion and intellectual curiosity for the FinTech domain.
- Comfortable in working in an ambiguous, fast-paced and high-growth dynamic environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and ability to take ownership of meeting with cross-functional team leads on a regular basis.
Venmo was founded in 2009 by two former college roommates who wanted a better way to pay each other back. What started off as a simple SMS platform to send and receive money has evolved into a social payments app allowing people to split bills, pay each other back for rent, and make purchases at approved merchants - all the while making these life stories more fun and less awkward. Venmo is owned by PayPal.
At Venmo, we're working to build a payment experience that's simple, delightful, and connected. Fueled by an abundance of snacks, locally sourced cold brew, and each other, our team solves exciting new challenges every day. Venmo's mission is to change people's relationships with money and each other. And it's working - people love using Venmo but we're not done yet. We want the magic of sending money with Venmo to be in every place you use it. There's still much more to do!
Want to learn more about Venmo? Visit Venmo's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.